Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REm 180 gr .311" FB isnt FB any more!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REm 180 gr .311" FB isnt FB any more!
    Posted: September 18 2019 at 3:20pm
I just discovered this.
If you buy Remington 180-Gr .303 "Core-Lokt Soft Point" for the FB bullet in a worn 2-groove bore check your new stuff. At some point they've switched to a BT one! Nowhere does it say this on the box.
Angry
I've contacted Remington to get confirmation & will update when I get more info.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 4:58pm
Forgive my ignorance but, is this a detail that has some importance regarding accuracy? I mean, do 2-groove barrel like flat based projectiles more than boat tails??
Cheers
Philtno
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 7:22pm
Yes, some worn barrels seem to shoot better with flat base bullets, more bearing surface contact with the rifling.  
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 9:38pm
Ok, I get that...although I have not noticed any positive difference between the Hornady 150 SP interlock and the Hornady 174 RN.  Both are flat base but the shape of the 174 RN has a larger area in contact with the rifling, I suppose.... the 150SP being more "pointy"... 
What about that statement I read several times about BT projectiles being less prone to "air drag" than FB.  Does that have an impact on velocity or on accuracy?? or both??

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 12:09am
BT bullets have a tendency to keyhole and are generally less accurate than flat base bullets in 2 groove barrels THAT ARE WORN. 
I don't find any difference with my Savage No.4 mk 1* but it has a very good barrel.

BT bullets are more stable at longer ranges, 600 yards or more.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 12:58am
Thanks, Stanforth....Thumbs Up
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 6:13am
AS Stanforth says;
You have to be getting well out for boattails to make a difference.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 6:32am
F/B & B/T are about the same to 300 yds or so. After that the B/T flies smoother faster & flatter, but not necessarily more accurately.
If you have a 2-groove bore that is worn & has a problem with B/T bullets its verry obvious, they often go through the target sideways!
(keyhole)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 6:35am
Got a ticket number from Remington today with a promise of a "Preliminary Reply" any day now.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2019 at 9:49am
2 weeks later, not a d**ky (bird), so I called them.
The question was sent to the department from customer service, they haven't heard anything back, so they're sending an e-mail to ask them why not.
*plays Jeopardy music*
Cottage Hill Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cottage Hill Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 7:19am
Flat base bullets will enlarge slightly at the base when fired (obdurate) and therefore get a better seat in the rifling and provide a better gas seal. Boat tail bullets will not obdurate and may allow some gas blow by depending on how worn a barrel is. This relates to any LE barrel not just two groove. If a barrel has seen a lot of cordite ammo it may have a greater or lessor degree of throat erosion which will effect how the bullet orients to the rifling and whether there is gas blow by. By obdurating a flat base bullet will mitigate some of these issues.  That's the reason Webley .455 pistol bullets were hollow based, to increase obduration.

When a bullet transitions from super-sonic to sub-sonic it can become less stable in its flight. Boat tail bullets handle this transition better than flat based bullets. .303 boat tails were the MkVIII ans MkVIIIz rounds which were designed for the Vickers machine gun which was expected to be used at ranges greater than normal rifle fire, hence the use of boat tail projectiles.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 3:18pm
Thank you very much for your explanation CHB.
Being still in my learning curve, That's good info for me :)
Philtno
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 6:44pm
they no longer care of customer service - a flat based bullet is in no way comparable to a boat tailed bullet for a shooter , get your money back and buy from another source , this all played out at the turn of the last century when spitzers and round nosed exchanged places as the norm ,  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 12:23pm
Well I figured it was time to chase them up again.
They deny any .311 or .312" bullets are BT, they swear they are all FB.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic