Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got it!
    Posted: September 19 2019 at 7:16pm
I was cutting the grass in the front yard this morning and a van pulled up. Could it be? Yes! My No1 Mk111 finally arrived! I couldn't wait to open up the package! Beautiful, is all can say. As I mentioned, the bloke that built it mentioned he would fit it with some "brass bits". I know not alot about No1's, but the bits seem to be the butt stock end (normal) rear sling mount, a screw in the nose cap and the front barrel band sling swivel. It is hinged. The Parker Hale peep site looks outrageously prehistoric! I can't wait to shoot it. Action is butter smooth... once my wife learns me how to use and download her digital camera, I will include pics.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 8:25pm
I am Very pleased for you H-T!!

Looking forward to Photos!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 7:12am
Nice! remind me in a pm of your e-mail I have something for you.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 1:06pm
honkytonk welcome to the Aussie family mate , once you have had one you can’t stop.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 8:27pm
wonderful , wanting to see photos as soon as you get time , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 3:10am
Looking forward to seeing the finished product and read the range report.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 4:22am
Yes, pls post some pics....
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 8:55am
We received 5"+ of rain the last two days so I haven't been to the range. I have been looking over the Lithgow pretty good. An interesting thing I spotted on the Parker-Hale peep site maybe someone could shed some light on. Vertical markings on the site beside the elevation scale says "Parker-Hale" in an arc, "5.A." below that. On the horizontal, just above where the mounting screws into the wrist band, it has a shape of a triangle. I think it says on one side of the triangle "BISLEY", on the other side "WORKS". It looks like inside the triangle says "ACP". Thanks!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:11am
Bisley Works is the name of the workshops of AG Parker, before it became Parker-Hale Honhs.

Look at the Oiler thread, I think in OT, and it has details on the Bisley Works  logo.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:17am
Parker-Hale were the rebirth of A.G. Parker (the father) & A.J. Parker (The son) fame. They broke up after an argument about sight design & his nephew, Alfred Thomas Corbyn Hale, then joined the company in 1910, to create Parker-Hale.
The original A.G. & A. J. Parker shop was in Birmingham, (a major player in British gunsmithing), but retained the "Bisley Works" name.
If you look carefully I think you'll find its not "ACP", but "AGP".
Many of the P-H & AGP sights went to South Africa, both openly & clandestinely because of international politics. The arc might be a "U" with "SA" stamped as a property mark for "the Union Of South Africa"!
That would make your PH 5A earlier than mine, as mine (which Zed now owns) is not marked for the Bisley works, but my AGP #9G is. So yous was made some time after 1910 & before 1928 when the company split up again without A.G. Parker now They also moved again still kn Birmingham from Icknield Street to to Whittal Street.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 10:43am
Shamu. Under a magnifying glass, you are correct. It is a "G". "BISLEY WORKS" forms the two sides of the triangle. "AGP" is kind of stylized to fit inside the triangle. The arc I was referring to was how the name "Parker-Hale" was stamped and below was "5.A." Definitely a "5". Not sure why they would put a period between the 5 and the A. Can't wait to get learned on the wife's digital camera!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 3:08pm
An assortment of my PH5A sights with various markings.

The South African ownership mark is easily seen on the first one.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2019 at 7:29pm
if only my eyes still worked with iron sights ..................but alas those days are gone , maybe better - if only i had known when i was younger ..........and thats the story of our lives , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 7:31am
You might be surprised with one of those 6-hole eyepieces!
I'm into the trifocals stage now & I can still shoot 2" 100yd groups with the PH5A & the AGP No9g!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 8:31am
Having never owned, or actually ever held, a full wood No1 until last week, by "my eye" the stock rear site will have to be removed so the P-H can have a clear line on the front post for the type of distances my range is equipped with. 200 yds is the maximum distance we have, so I'm guessing the P-H has to be dialed down quite a bit... 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2019 at 8:48am
I think we discussed this earlier, maybe by PM, or was it an e-mail maybe?
Your original sight looked abnormally high, compared to mine?

There are 3 ways to get the rear sight out of the way, but before you do you can use it to set up a temporary rough zero!
Set your sliding original sight to "2", now adjust your P-H to align as best as you can with both the original rear & front sights. It a bit of a messy sight pic but it can be done by coming down from above rather than up from the bottom.
Note the sight settings on the P-H but don't move the scale yet.
Now you can either:
Unscrew & store separately the original rear sight blade & screw.
Flip the rear sight over so its upside down & reattach it.
or
do as I did & buy a spare leaf (they are fairly cheap) & file or grind out the blade to give clearance.
Your sight should be similar, but not identical to mine zeroed at 200yds which you have to do with the P-H 5A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic