Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a 1924 Mosin Nagant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a 1924 Mosin Nagant
    Posted: October 04 2019 at 3:57am
It took me some time to decided what I would get next to my Longbranch.....and bought a 1924 Mosin Nagant (Tula). I haven't shot it yet and I'm really looking forward to it.  Already have the Lee Loader for the 7.62x54R......just waiting for the rounds to come Smile
Here are some photos
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 3:58am
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 6:17am
Looks a nice one, Phil.

I read it for a start as M24, as in the Finn version.  Rather fond of the Finn models as well!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 7:19am
It does look good. Do you have the bayonet for it? Unless the front sight has already been adjusted it will shoot better with the bayonet attached. The Russians set them up that way.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

It does look good. Do you have the bayonet for it? Unless the front sight has already been adjusted it will shoot better with the bayonet attached. The Russians set them up that way.
Hi Bear,
No, unfortunately, I don't have the bayonet...but I think the front sight has been lowered a bit. To be certain, I should compare with another one which I can't.  All I know is that the barrel has been counterbored over an inch or so... I know, not good for value but certainly kind of restore accuracy, based on what I read.
Do you have a point on that??
Philtno
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Looks a nice one, Phil.

I read it for a start as M24, as in the Finn version.  Rather fond of the Finn models as well!
Thanks Pukka Smile
At this stage, I'm only happy to have one....hahaha
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 9:02am
It is really common to see Mosins counterbored. I never get why some people are so averse to it, it was done to keep the rifle accurate without replacing an otherwise good barrel. Every Mosin I have had that was counterbored shot just fine.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 12:36pm
Hi Bear,
Yes, that's apparently what I read about it: an "easy fix" that works well restoring, or "maximizing" should I say, the efficiency of the rifle given its age and usage.  
The verdict will come in a few days when I'll receive the rounds for it (quite hard to find some 7.62x54R here in NZ that are not costing you an arm and a leg at the moment - reason why I will reload after that).
I would like to slug the bore but I'm kind of concerned that, the barrel having been counterbored, i.e. larger crown entry, will make it a bit trickier.... This being said, I expect the barrel to be fit for the .311/.312 projectiles....which would be good as that's what I using for the Longbranch Wink.
We''ll see
Cheers
Philtno
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 5:10pm
Everyone needs a few Mosin rifles.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 6:45pm
Woaw......nice!!
Are they Russian ones, Finn?? 
Original PU??
Cheers
Philtno
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by philtno philtno wrote:

Woaw......nice!!
Are they Russian ones, Finn?? 
Original PU??
Cheers
Philtno

Top 1944 Russian. Original rifle forced scope and bracket. Nice accurate rifle to 500 yards

Middle 1944 Yugo came less scope mint rifle in cosmoline I have never fired it didn't look fired.

BTM 1943 Finn post was bracket it too came with base on receiver. 1943 scope and post war and bracket. Best trigger and smoothest action. I have shot this one to 600 yards. #14 Huns head targets no problem.

I have five different models of Finns and they seem to be the best set up .

Still have two new unfired 91/59s too. But I think they will go to auction this year.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 7:52am
My  Finnish M 24, much used in hard conditions.
Being a Civil Guard rifle, we can trace it back to Nurmo Civil Guard, in Central Finland.
Nurmo C-G was mobilised in 1939, and were sent to the Kerelian Isthmus, as part of Kevit Osato 8, (8th Light detachment) during the Winter War'.
The "Light Detachments" were units equipped with Bicycle or skis and were used to strike the enemy in the flanks or from behind the lines.  (this info from Martti, who will for a small fee look up info if available on C-G marked rifles)
Kevit Osato 8 was  under Third Corps, (Maj. gen A. E.  Heinrichs) , and placed on the SW side of Lake Ladoga, on the left wing of 11 Corps.
On the 5th of March, 1940, Kevit Osato 8 under Captain Leo Havla, was ordered to counter-attack positions on Church hill at Ayrapaa.
As the attack was delayed until daylight, they were shot to pieces by the Russian M-guns that held fire until they were within 50 metres.
The squadron lost 42 men killed in a mtter of seconds, and the assault stopped.
The squadron had consisted almost entirely of men from Nurmo village in Central Finland.
"Thirt -eight crosses bearing the same date now mark the tragic battle of Church hill, Ayrapaa. (5th March 1940) In Nurmo Cemetary."
That's the history lesson for today!
The Nurmo marked rifle;
Also, the Nurmo C-G flag, (No relation to the German Swastica)
Nurmo Church and burial ground, Nurmo Civil Guard meeting hut. (one of them) and related pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 8:01am
By the way, it shoots V well, the bore being tight still.
I have yet to find a load that shoots better than Chinese surplus!.....so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!
These rifles were originally set up for 149-gr ball I believe, but were altered to accept D ball, of around 200 grains.
3 shots at 200metres;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic