Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No7MkI/L arrived...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 8:55pm
i used one on a spam can once - never cat food but might have considered corned beef 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 7:22am
Not much difference in taste.

I love fresh corned beef but canned not so much, it reminds me of cat food.

My grandmother used to make me sandwiches to take to work for lunch when I was an apprentice at British Steel..
I opened my Tupperware box at the canteen table and got everybody's attention with the 'pilchard' sandwiches that could be smelt from across the room.
When I got home that night, I looked in the fridge and found an opened can of 'Sea Prime'. Small printing below on the label said 'cat food'.
Tasted not bad, but a lot of crunchy bones.

I often find bayonets at yard sales all beat up and bent from being used as tools and pry bars.

I have a P1888 bayonet sharp on one edge, hammer marks on the opposite edge from splitting kindling? There is also a Ross bayonet on my wall that has a corrosion line from where it had been stuck and left in the ground from being used as a picket for a horse. 

I did one time find a Enfield socket bayonet from a P53 at a garage sale. I paid two dollars for it because it was bent into a hook.
The seller said it was a bailing hook. But way it was formed with a downward and back bend, I knew exactly what it was. 
It was modified into what is often called a burial hook. It was used on the end of the rifle to drag cadavers across the ground and into their graves. It gave me the willies just to hold it. I got rid of it.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 9:18am
Call me weird but I actually like canned corned beef better than from the deli. It's great for making corned beef hash with poached eggs on top. Another that I always make during hunting season is Scotch Eggs. Always save a couple of venision "Jimmy Dean" sausage meat to make up a batch.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 12:59pm
I just ate a can of Spam Wink
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 1:08pm
In my part of Canada, KLIK is more popular than Spam. I think they pretty much taste the same.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 3:31pm
The "Old" Libbys corned beef was good, the new stiff is meat colored mush & I can't stand it.

One of my preferred camping out meals is a pack of the dehydrated "Bear Creek Minestrone" with a chunked up can of Corned beef for some meat. It takes longer to cook than they say but this with a little less water (make a stew more than a soup) & a side of rice feeds the whole camp.
Now theres no meat just flavor as it melts completely during making the soup.
https://d2ul0w83gls0j4.cloudfront.net/products/61/300/611341.jpg
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 3:50pm
That actually sounds pretty good.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 4:04pm
Oh it is. Just don't believe the cooking times for minestrone. If you follow the packet instructions the carrots are like little pieces of ceiling tile, but chewier!
I go for a slow simmer of at least 45 mins.
If you like even more flavor use the
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 5:11am
To all bayonet experts... what would something like Goosics latest be worth? I ask because I see one close to me and I have know idea. It does not have a scabbard. Thanks!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 5:21am
I've seen them go between 150-399 USD.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

To all bayonet experts... what would something like Goosics latest be worth? I ask because I see one close to me and I have know idea. It does not have a scabbard. Thanks!

A couple of years ago I sold one to a collector in Australia for Aus$ 500 + Shipping.

Aus$ = US$0.69
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 6:47am
Thanks guys! The gent doesn't know what they might be worth (nor do I) but you have given me a ballpark figure. I'll probably pass on it as I'm not really a bayonet guy and wouldn't want to seem like a low baller because I wouldn't want to be into it for more than $150.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 7:24am
HT.  There were only 176,000 of them made and out of that,only 1000 produced by the Wilkinson Sword Co. Who perfected that clip point blade.
Might be worth looking into...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 8:53am
Quick question. The bayonet has M47B on the handle and N57MMK111 on the blade near the hilt. Maybe this isn't like Goosics as it appears to have a wooden handle?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 9:30am
Well. I took a flyer, offered a price, and he accepted. EMT on the way... like I need another addiction!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 9:55am
HA! Addiction....you should try being a coin collector! I try and balance my two hobbies, collector coins and Lee Enfields, with some success, but sometimes they butt heads with each other and somewhere in between is my deflated bank account!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic