Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is that bore clean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is that bore clean?
    Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:43am
Been playing with my new Teslong Borescope.  Takes pretty good pictures.  

I started with my Long Branch No. 4 Mk 1/3 with 5 groove BSA barrel.  I’ve always felt a tight area about 8 inches long in the barrel when cleaning.  I use a Parker Hale rod and jag wrapped with a 1 1/2 x 3 inch flannel patch that makes a snug fit in the bore. The drag has been noticeable for many years.  I thought it was pitting, but I now know it is not corrosion. 

I usually clean out the bore with a good copper solvent once a year, I use Boretech Eliminator for this.  Routine cleaning is with Hoppes 9 with patches and a nylon brush.  

On borescoping the barrel after copper cleaning, I found the tight area.  A dark layer on the lands.  

Hoppes and Boretech would not touch this.  Then I soaked a patch with Kroil and brushed with a bronze brush.  It all came off.  Not sure what it was, possibly bullet ironed on carbon?  No longer a tight area in the bore.  

Does it matter?  Probably not, but I now know the barrel is clean and zero corrosion.  

I then moved to my M1 rifle.  It was due for a copper cleaning.  For the last 1000 or so rounds, it’s only had a Hoppes 9 cleaning after every shoot.  I thought it looked clean just sighting thru the bore.  Here’s what it looked like with the borescope.

The Boretech removed about 90% of the copper, but some remained on the lands and middle of the grooves.  Another two rounds of Eliminator, still some stubborn streaks remained.  Brushed out with Kroil and it was gone. 

I don’t expect the rifles to now shoot MOA like Goosics, but at least I know they are clean.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:44pm
I'm now retired, but was in the oil/gas industry for 35 years. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than Kroil for busting nuts and cleaning carbon steel. We used to use "skunk p%#s" in a steel can at work. Good. But doesn't even come close. I was sure in my early days on this site I've mentioned and fawned over this cleaner, but I did a Search... nothing. This stuff, if I remember correctly, has a .000001" creep capability. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:58pm
Its amazing whats routinely lurking in those "clean" bores.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 3:03pm
Kroil was the only thing that worked to loosen that fouling.  

I thought it might be Cupronickel, which was used on the early Mk 7 bullet envelopes.  I shot a few hundred rounds of surplus Canadian Mk 7 ball ammunition with cupronickel jackets.   But, The fouling appeared as a dark gray layer on the surface of the bore.  It has been there for years.  My Parker Hale 0.30350 bore fouling gage would detect it, it would not pass over it.  Now, the .30350 gage smoothly passes thru the bore.  The next size up gage I have is a cylindrical .3040 minus (measures 0.3038) pin gage, it will not enter the muzzle, it enters the breech for 5 inches.  A .3045 minus gage does not enter the breech.  

This is after shooting at least 5000 rounds, and probably more.  Very little wear.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 5:31am
That borescope gives a quality image. No excuses now!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:13am
How good is Kroil? Had a buddy changing exhaust manifold gaskets on an older 5.7 Chevy Silverado. Of course he snapped two bolts as he was using WD40. They were pretty much snapped clean off, with maybe a tiny bit sticking up. I went home, got my Kroil. Sauteed the studs for 15 minutes. Used a pair of vise grips and got both studs out. Amazing stuff (I don't work for Kroil!) WD40 definitely has its place, like duct tape, but it's not the greatest for busting nuts and loosening rusty bits.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:32am
WD40 is not great for loosening rusty bolts. It is much better as a water diespersant for ignition systems etc.
I have not tried Kroil, not sure if it's available in Europe. Sound's like a good product though.
What I use for penetrating rusty bolts is a mix of Dexron trans fluid and Acetone, mixed about 50/50. However would not want to use that on my Enfields. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:35am
Probably because thats not what its designed for!
If you like Kroil you'll LOVE a 50/50 acetone & ATF fluid its even better but remember to ventilate well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:36am
My question is (drum roll, please !).....

If the Kroll Oil got the toughest crud out of the bore, why not use it from the start ?

regards....roger
The only time I ever said "no" to a drink was when I misunderstood the question.

Will Sinclair
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:41am
It probably was Nickelling if it was that stubborn.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 2:15pm
What is kroil and where does one find it, candian tire?
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 2:34pm
It's just a penetrating oil. Works pretty good and helping to knock rusty stuff loose.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 2:54pm
Kroil has been in Canada since the early 2000's. The fertilizer plant I worked at in Canada since '81 (US owned by JR Simplot from '67 until Koch bought us in 2007) required annual turnarounds for refurbishing, mandated by the government regulations on boilers and pressure vessels. Koch had also purchased fertilizer plants in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Oklahoma at the same time. I was seconded to run the night shifts for these turnarounds in the US. Usually two months long. Long story short (too late, I know) my American friends had never heard of this product. Once they aquired it, they loved it! (Weirdest meal I ever ate in Oklahoma? Alot of the contractors were from Louisiana. They would haul their travel trailers up and make a community in the local trailer park. Anything that moved was fair game. Robin, squirrel (and the heads) and a turtle (one of the c#%n asses caught in a near by pond) made into a gumbo. I miss those days...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 3:05pm
Yes. I stand corrected. It is just a penetrating oil.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 3:58pm
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:03pm
A benchrest shooter told me about Kroil over 15 years ago.  At that time, he was using a powder solvent, then Sweets 7.62, then Kroil (drying out the bore with patches before going to the next product).  

I’m going to inspect the bore for the next few cleaning sessions.  I wonder if that Kroil will clean out the powder and copper fouling.  What ever that dark patchy stuff was in the bore that Hoppes and Boretech Eliminator didn’t remove, the Kroil did. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic