Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A “New” Rifle added to the Inventory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 3:34pm
No other 2 digit numbers on the butt socket. The receiver has '48' stamped on it.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 4:45pm
I should probably show you how I shimmed the stock. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 4:54pm
impressed with the results , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

No other 2 digit numbers on the butt socket. The receiver has '48' stamped on it.

I’m not sure what the 48 stamp is above the serial number.  It might be a FTR date.  The serial number is in the 3000 range, 1941 production. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Yes, I would be interested in hearing how you shim the stock.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

I’m not sure what the 48 stamp is above the serial number.  It might be a FTR date.  The serial number is in the 3000 range, 1941 production. 
I've got the same 48. Your guess is as good as mine.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 11:11pm

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Yes, I would be interested in hearing how you shim the stock.  
The stocking up I did was secondary to my primary focus. Consistent trigger pull. I took the cocking piece, sear,and trigger contact surfaces and used three different jewelers rouge until I achieved a mirrored finish. I then beveled the holes for the pins in the trigger and sear. The firing pin shaft was also polished to a mirror finish while I used two different bronze brushes to clean the insde of the bolt so the firing pin slides without alot of internal friction. I applied a tiny amount of silver solder on the firing pin threads to remove any unnecessary movements in the cocking piece. I still have a two stage pull but,it is almost non existent when you are actually pulling the trigger in a live or dry fire. The trigger pull is right at 24 ounces. I have a shim the goes between the receiver and trigger guard that the king screw slides into before threading into the receiver that is 0.5215" that gives me the necessary non contact thickness around the receiver when the stock is in place while allowing for the consistency in trigger pull. The king screw is tightened to 18 inch pounds  as well. The shims I used are right where the upper a lower handguard meet and consist of one thin exhaust gasket material sandwiched between two thin pieces of copper placed in the forestock.  Barrel contact is at the location of the middle barrel band and at the muzzle. I have one copper shim placed in the upper handguard eliminating any lateral or vertical movement at the muzzle.  The last item was to remove the bayonet lugs and put a 45 degree crown on the muzzle. This rifle is not your standard issue Enfield. The barrel currently has 325 rounds through it now and the rifling shows no signs of wear at all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 2:00am
Thanks for that Goosic.  Interesting bedding method.

I attempted to follow the standard stocking up procedures, muzzle and chamber reinforce bearing only.  Since I repaired the forend with epoxy bedding at the normal bearing points, I cannot not use this rifle at a major match.  The CMP rules are for an “as issued” rifles.   Also, trigger pull is weighed prior to CMP matches, the minimum allowable is 3.5 lbs, so I have some room to reduce the weight (currently at 5.5 lbs). 

The groups were very good in the windage direction, 1 to 1.5 MOA. My problem with iron sights is getting a consistent elevation sight picture.  

I thought about packing the front handguard at the muzzle, but this was not the standard method of stocking.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 4:01pm
I began the process to refinish the metal on the Long Branch No. 4 Mk 1/2.  I started with something simple, the magazine.  

Most of the old finish had already been stripped from the metal.  If that hadn’t been done, I wouldn’t be refinishing the rifle.  

I elected to go with Birchwood Casey Perma Blue.  It took 4 applications to get a good color without streaking.  It’s not perfect, but I wasn’t after a factory finish.  This rifle has some history.

Here’s a before and after shot of the magazine.  

The finish is quite black, a bit too much gloss, but overall I’m pleased.  Now just have to do everything else!!

Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 4:42pm

Guys, this F52 barrel has electro pencil markings I’ve not seen before, the front protruding end of the barrel:

Top Side: 

Bottom side: (Reads “T6 KNOX TN 303 BRITISH”)

Anyone know who and why these markings were made?  And what does T6 signify?  

Does anyone know if the Canadian military services submitted No. 4 Mk 1 or Mk 1* rifles for upgrade to Mark 2?  

Geoff

The stencil is "TG KNOX TN" imported by Tennessee Guns International in Knox County, Tennessee.  They were like a Century Arms, Interarms, SARCO or Stroger.  

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/t-g-tennessee-guns-inc-knoxville-tn-75186220.html

Related story:

http://archive.knoxnews.com/business/firearms-importer-sued-for-millions-ep-406032322-358044981.html/
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 6:58am
They are pre 1968 U.S. Import markings, after '68 they changed to the current full address style.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 11:35am
The receiver refinishing is complete.  It took a lot of sanding, about 8 applications of the Birchwood Casey Perma Blue.  It’s black, with only a slight hint of deep blue.  Not the original finish of course, Which was phosphate and black enamel spray paint.  But, I like the look.  There is not a spec of dirt left on the receiver, ultrasonically cleaned twice and detail cleaned and prepped for the Perma blue treatment. 

Only a few parts left to do.  

I made a promise to A Square 10 I would restore the rifle and look after it, and that’s what I intend to do.

Before shot:

After:

This is why I wanted to get the barrel off the receiver.

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 1:54pm
Very nice!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 5:45pm
i am liking the looks of that , i appreciate the updates too , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 4:40pm
I’m on the final stretches of the restoration.  I cleaned the furniture again with Murphy’s Oil Soap and light scrub with 0000 steel wool.  First coat of BLO thinned with Mineral Spirits put on today, looks good.  I’ll apply BLO full strength every day for the next week.

The metal refinishing is completed, I’m very happy with the results.  Very similar to an oil blackened finish.  I did find that the action body did not take the Birchwood Casey cold blue as easily as the barrel and rest of the steel parts, the body steel must be different.  It took 6 or 7 applications until I was satisfied.  

My progress has been slow, I can’t work at the pace Gossic does, it took me weeks just to get the barrel removed.  I spent hours sanding the metalwork.  

I’ll post a pic when I’m all finished, perhaps next weekend.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 7:15am
I've found similar results with cold blue. Differing steels seem to respond to different bluing concoctions. I have 3 different kinds on hand currently. & that was to refinish just a target rear sight! I used all 3 kinds to get a good blue, the spring at the rear was particularly difficult.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic