Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smle #1 mk3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smle #1 mk3
    Posted: June 16 2020 at 8:11pm
hi I’m looking for information pertaining to specific marking RR marking on the Knox form thanks.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 9:56pm
A stylized R on the barrel Knox form means: Found rusty by armourer,to be checked by Armourer. Two R's means:Unsafe barrel, usually drill purpose for cadets.

Source material: Ian Skennertons book, The Lee Enfield 
BIGDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 10:40pm
the barrel looks excellent, it was cleaned out by Mr Nick Harvey as it was full of grease/wax, the rifle is in mint condition I’ve never fired it.

I know 2 R’s opposing each other means condemned.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:30pm
Welcome to the forum.
Has the rifle been restored? I ask, because in the photo I don't see any wear at all on the receiver bolt guide rail area.
The style of the RR does not look like a military marking to me; but I am not an expert. Hopefully one of or more experienced members can confirm if it is a standard RR for rust or something else.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:38pm
If you trust your life to Mr. Nick Harvey and he has signed off on the rifle being in sound condition? I myself would want the rifle rechecked.
The following photo shows your pictured R. Further reading indicates that a R superimposed over another R states that it is unsafe and to be used for cadets as a drill purpose rifle. You asked a question and I found an answer to it from one Mr. Ian Skennerton. Take it for what it is worth or not,the choice is yours. Keep it and cherish it as is but do not fire it...
BIGDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:52pm
as far as I’m aware it’s never been fired prior to me owning it a friend owned it and never fired it, I’ve  had it for 20 plus years

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 11:55pm
I spotted something else. The picture you supply shows a nice slot cut into the the receiver and into the pressure relief ports. That rifle has been deactivated for a reason. My best guess from looking at the metal surface that I can see does in fact show a mint condition, appears to never have been fired No1Mk111 rifle. The remaining guess is because it was deemed unsafe to fire and stamped as such and had metal removed from a stress point in add to the discouragement of wanting to fire it...
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 12:12am

To repeat - this would appear to be a condemned rifle, in which case it is 'unsafe' and must not be fired. Maybe the 'reversed' R stamp was unavailable and so it was marked R R in lieu.

OR

Is it Rusty and marked as such, then found to be even more rusty and given another R for good measure.

Either way I'd want it checking over before firing it.

From "Armourers Markings"

Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 3:56am
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina, USA.

BIGDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 4:07am
this Is a better Pic most smle have these same pressure holes if that’s what they are.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 4:12am
Thanks for posting the copy of the page explaining the "R".
Did not have muy book handy when I replied earlier.
Need to see more photos of the vent hole area and the rifle in general.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 5:41am
Good eye, Goosic. If learned members suggest having the rifle thoroughly checked out by a professional that knows Lee Enfields, I would definitely listen. In the end, it's your decision. 
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 6:46am
Originally posted by BIGDOG BIGDOG wrote:

this Is a better Pic most smle have these same pressure holes if that’s what they are.

I don't see any problem with that gas-vent.

Typical example.

The Ishapore can easily be identified as they only have a single hole gas vent.
Others used three-overlapping holes to form the vent.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 10:08am
Trick of the light then. Still does not change the fact that it has been stamped from an actual Enfield rifle Armourer and was found unsafe by an actual Enfield rifle armourer. You definitely have a very nice LOOKING AT rifle. Leave it that way. 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 6:01pm
Its possible a perfectly good rifle was written of due to the need of supplying a drill purpose rifle. Army bureaucracy works in ways we would struggle to understand. This being the case, the proper "set in Concrete" proceedure would be to stamp the rifle just as if it had a multitude of problems.
But as everyone states above, if in doubt get it professionally checked out.
No one test fires any newly acquired second hand rifle without some caution.
If still unsure, then err on the side of caution and remove the firing pin to prevent harm.

There is good reason for the existence of proof loads being done.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 7:11pm
 Find a knowledgeable gunsmith to fully inspect it, borescope the barrel (rust and pitting is very obvious), remove the barreled action from the forend check external underside of barrel for rust/pitting, check headspace, bolt lug contact, etc.  Even then, I’d be nervous firing this rifle without first finding out that those two R’s actually represent.  If the barrel is not rusted, it means something else...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic