Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smle #1 mk3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 2:46pm
The orintation of those two R's dosnt seem to fit the rusted barrel scheme of things.
Maybe someones intials, Royal Reserves??.
Idk, but I've seen it before, just cant place it.
If it was me I'd have it inspected if good clamp it and shoot it a few times.
Myself peronally, all my old smoke poles get inspected, then I only fire reduced target loads, after all some of these rifles are 100+ yrs old and metal does fatigue with age.
I too favour a .22 conversion just incase...
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 3:31pm
I agree with that Shiloh. I’ve been shooting No. 4 rifles so much I decided I needed to get a few more of them to spread out the wear and tear.   I now have 5 very good shooting No. 4 rifles, three in .303 and two in 7.62.   I like to load a bit below Mk 7 velocities and pressures. 

BIGDOG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGDOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2020 at 7:18pm
agree how many of these have been through service and are junk and most have no issue firing them which is the beauty of them, best I have it inspected as I said previously and if it’s deem dangerous I’ll make a decision to it’s future, I didn’t expect so many sooks to stamp there feet because I didn’t bend over to take there advice which none has shown to be factual on the stamping of stylised double R and as such I’ll make whatever it’s meaning that it’s safe before if ever it is fired.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 6:17am
First, let me say I've reread every comment in regards to your original post. These are very knowledgeable people and only concerned for the safety of others. Same reason there are lively discussions on reloading and maximum pressures that may compromise some older, less robust Lee Enfields. Second, I know what "sook" means in Australian slang. I must say, I'm a little disappointed in your attitude as if you remember you came on the site looking for information on markings on the Knox form. Sorry the "sooky" answers are not to your liking. Moderators, please feel free to delete  my post.    
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 7:56am
Actually Shun,  everything that I personally researched on your rifles stylized R is factual and came from three well established online gunboard forums and two very knowledgeable and well established authors who specialize on the subject of the Enfield rifle. 
You came to us with questions and I know,beyond a shadow of any doubt, that I gave you the correct answer based off of research I did to assist in helping you. Your comment that you didn't bend over and take our advice because none has been shown to you to be factual is a slap in our faces and proves what I had stated earlier. We took time out of our lives to assist  you and you resort to name calling? You do what you are going to do with that rifle and do not expect us crybabies and whiners on here to offer any advice to you from here on out.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by BIGDOG BIGDOG wrote:

agree how many of these have been through service and are junk and most have no issue firing them which is the beauty of them, best I have it inspected as I said previously and if it’s deem dangerous I’ll make a decision to it’s future, I didn’t expect so many sooks to stamp there feet because I didn’t bend over to take there advice which none has shown to be factual on the stamping of stylised double R and as such I’ll make whatever it’s meaning that it’s safe before if ever it is fired.

Would you jump with a parachute that you weren't sure of ?
Would you drive a car that might have a dangerous fault ?Disapprove
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 8:58am
OK Gents this one's getting a bit out of hand.
Lets keep it civil, please.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 11:15am
Its not worth getting wound up about.

Giving information out doesn't mean it will reach people or we'll be welcome if it does. Those who fail to seek or recognize truth are only demonstrating their own incapacity to recognize truth. So be it. You can't force someone to understand what they aren't ready to understand.

That doesn't mean we should stop speaking it, sharing it, outputting it in various forms. Since we can't change the world on our own as some magical king of the world, we need to get people to understand things before we can act together. And to understand things, people first need knowledge input. That's what can be done: to inform, then to understand, then to act wisely.

We can't compromise, limit, constrict, water-down, be-quiet, or hold-back certain aspects of truth just because some people might not be able to hear it. We can't read their minds to know what they are or aren't willing to hear. We can't make them think about it either once we give it to them. Those who can't see or hear the truth are the ones who do not have the eyes to see or the ears to hear.

It's by their own doing that they lack care about truth, reality and what 'is'. Excuses and justifications are abound. Keeping one's head in the sand in the comfort of ignorance or denial is more appealing to many than taking the arduous journey up the mountain of truth and keep going without knowing if there is ever an end to it. Those of us that do climb will keep drinking the life-force of truth that invigorates us to keep going.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 2:43pm
Shamu... I apologise for my comments. I've learned so much about Lee Enfields on this site from so many knowledgeable members, I tend to get a bit defensive. All are welcome, as are all discussions. I'm going to take a time-out for a week or so...  I apologise to the members for my posts related to this inquiry.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 3:16pm
Not a problem & unneeded unless you need it. Beer
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 6:26pm
This forum has been one of the better ones in terms of how we share information and treat each other.  We try to not make the technical issues become personal, and for the most part, we succeed.  This has been somewhat of an unusual year in many ways.  I think we can close this topic, I’ve appreciated everyone’s input and insight.   
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2020 at 6:43pm
I myself appreciate every aspect of this forum and I am very grateful of everyone's input. We all have our own thought based opinions on specific topics and openly share those with the other members as well. We have our moments of agitation and at the same time,show our respect regardless of past issues good or not so good. I at this time would like to thank everyone of you for helping me through all my projects.  Without the combined knowledge and resources you all have shown, my Faux No4 T would not be as it is today and for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart...
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 3:34am
Agreed that thus forum is my great source for seriously excellent information regarding the Enfields I own.  Folks offering advice here ave proven very knowledgable and generous with their time and content.

Perhaps our new friend from Australia is used to being heard, and not so used to listening.

I really thought this was another good discussion of markings on our rifles.  I was comparing some of the annotations to some on my rifles.  Not the “RR” thing, my rifles do not have that, however there were several posts with lots of detail about markings that were interesting to me.  My latest No4 has such unusual stampings, that I guess I will always be on the hunt for the identification for some of them.

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 4:24am
I have found this forum the most informative friendly and instructive place for information on the Lee Enfield rifle and usually without discord. 
Members give well researched information freely and accept the work and opinion of others with gratitude and respect. This thread has tarnished that somewhat and I suggest that the new member either learns to respect other members or go elsewhere.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 4:49am
Goosic, I’m still thinking on that very generous trade offer on a DCRA 7.62 for your T. What’s making me struggle is that one was my Dads and the other his best friends, I’ve seem to have developed a bit of an emotional attachment.  Silly, I know...

Let me think on this today and I’ll PM you.  

By the way, both shoot very good.  I solved the mystery of the odd fully bedded forend on Dad’s friends rifle, I have his shooting notebook and all his notes on the accurizing of this rifle are in there.  He was a DCRA shooter, went to Bisley many times, and a very good shooter (also have his scorebook). He was struggling with improving the accuracy at short range and didn’t realize it was really just the 7.62 service ammo used at the time.  It shoots fantastic with my handloads.  He passed away in 1967 and the rifle was not fired until I got a few years ago.  

Fairbanks007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairbanks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

I have found this forum the most informative friendly and instructive place for information on the Lee Enfield rifle and usually without discord. 
Members give well researched information freely and accept the work and opinion of others with gratitude and respect.

This has certainly been my experience in my short time here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic