Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1918 Ishapore Musket Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1918 Ishapore Musket Project
    Posted: June 17 2020 at 8:30pm
Tonight I was taking apart my second Century Arms project, a 1918 Ishapore Mk III* converted to a .410 musket in 1931. In stripping it I noticed a "Cht" mark on the right side of the butt stock. Has anyone seen this before? It's new to me.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2020 at 8:41pm
new to me as well , ill be interested to hear others take on that marking , might well be from a previous service life 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2020 at 6:50pm
Nothing has been sorted on this. On Gunboards a few think it's abbreviation for some police district, which would make sense. The only mention I have found of any "Cht" abbreviation associated with India is for the Chittagong Hill Tracts which were ceded to Pakistan when India became independent. I would think that would be in all capital letters, though, instead of capital C and lowercase h and t. Seems to be one of those Enfield mysteries.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 7:01am
After a lot of struggling I finally got my 1918 Ishapore musket apart. I broke 3 screwdrivers and 4 screwdriver bits trying to break this thing loose. I did have to drill the head off the front trigger guard screw to get the trigger guard off. Once I got the wood off the remnants of the screw came out fairly easily. Biggest issue was breaking the stock bolt loose. That took a lot of force but I finally got it out. Now to start cleaning and see what I end up with. Here's what I started with:

Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 9:16am
that thing looks rough!  I’m certain that once you are done with it, it’ll look ‘way better!

Was there any of the God-awlful green paint on it under the woods?

Any evidence of volley sights from it’s previous service life?

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 10:05am
The 3 93. Could that represent March 1893? My thought when looking at the Cht and the 3 93 lead me to believe the wood at one time was on a rifle placed into service in March of 1893 on or near Chatham Islands NZ
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2020 at 10:45am
Whitjr, This one does have a dark green paint under the wood, slathered on heavily. It's a Mk III* barred out, so it never had volley sights. It does retain a pinned rear sight that was formerly windage adjustable.

Goosic, I don't know. It honestly may not be out of the realm of possibility seeing how the Indians used and reused anything and everything. They were not wasteful of anything relating to weapons.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic