Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainQuack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: confused
    Posted: July 25 2020 at 5:22pm
I recently acquired a 1942 Long Branch #4 MK1. I've been watching some WWII documentaries and have seen many SMLE's with what looks like a long knife instead of the spike bayonet. I would love to have one like that for my Long Branch when I finish replacing the fore stock. I have been googling and googling and all I can come up with for the #4 MK1 are the spike ones.

I would be very grateful if anyone can explain this to a SMLE newbie.

Captain Quack

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 3:25pm
Welcome from Phoenix Arizona. 
The bayonet you are inquiring about is a No9MkI.  eBay has quite a few of them. The first photo shows a No9MkI made in South Africa from Armscor and the second photo is a Pakistan Ordnance Factory made No9MkI...

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 3:30pm
There is a No7MkI/L swivel pommel blade bayonet that was originally designed for use on the Sten submachine gun and it will fit on the No4Mk1 rifle but was used for parade purposes only. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 6:28pm

You may be seeing some No1 Mk III (SMLE) mixed in with No4's in there. They had a really long (P'07) bayonet. Both types were intermixed for a while. There was never a "Sword Bayonet" for the No4, even though there were some bladed ones like the no9, or the no7.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 8:06pm
the spikes were the no4 mkI cruciform , the no4 mkII a formed spike on the socket , the no4 mkII* a  welded on spike to the socket and the no4 mkIII a totally welded up socket and spike - crude but serviceable , then came the no7 blade with swiele socket and the no9 blades - two were made the drop point and the spear point - this patterned on the US no4 and those after .........ill come back with a photo from my other computer ..not loaded to this one yet , 

left to right the no7 [there were two of these - one red scaled and one black] , the no9 drop point [previous posts showed the spear point] , the no5 , the no4s - mkIII , mkII* , mkII, mkI cruciform , the most expensive of the series which was only made by singer [has been faked] and was short lived due to war expedients , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 8:25pm
From top to bottom. 
No4Mk1 Cruciform 
No4Mk11
No4Mk11*
No4Mk3
No7MkI/L 
No9MkI POF 
No9MkI Armscor
These represent all of the various bayonets that will readily fit to the No4Mk1 Enfield rifles. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 8:34pm
My apologies A Square.  Did not mean to step over you. I did not see your post until now...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:10pm
The 1907 type sword bayonet would be used throughout WWII by Ausralian and New Zealand troops; as most of them would be issued with the Australian made (Lithgow) SMLE No1 MkIII rifle. The British started to produce the No Mk1 rifle after Dunkirk and as the war progressed, more British troops would have swapped the No1 rifle for the No4 type.
Unfortunately you cannot fit the sword bayonet to the No4 rifle. But as seen above, a blade type does exist; but it was post WWII.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 7:15pm
no worries goosic - we both intended the same info and you have a fair share of mine at this point i should retire my photos - yours are better , i suspect he is happy seeing the redundancy to reaffirm his thinking and understanding anyway - i know i was back when i started this interest , we are all on the same page here , 

a great book that might be hard to find but well worth the effort and cost is grahem priests , spirit of the pike [british socket bayonets of the twentieth century] its a large book with everything in it regarding these known through 2003 and lots f photos that help with the understanding , i might have parted with my copy save for the great friend that found it for me for christmas years ago , it resides with my other hard bound references that have great value , for those concentrating collecting of the no4 spikes its a must have , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 7:28pm
Something happened to me last week. I ended up with  a spare No4 Mk11*,a spare No4 Mk11 N67 stamped, and a spare LB No4 Mk11 with scabbard and frog.
CaptainQuack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainQuack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 2:29pm
I thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. I think Shamu is right. What I saw were #1 mk3's. Now I know what I do want to get thanks to you gentleman. No7MkI/L. When I was in the Canadian Army they still taught bayonet if you knew who to ask. Again. thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Captain Quack.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 7:08pm
yes , sorry that your not going to find a sword bayo intended for the no4 rifle , they were retired with the no1s 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 1:31am
Originally posted by CaptainQuack CaptainQuack wrote:

I thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. I think Shamu is right. What I saw were #1 mk3's. Now I know what I do want to get thanks to you gentleman. No7MkI/L. When I was in the Canadian Army they still taught bayonet if you knew who to ask. Again. thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Captain Quack.
eBay has a few of the No7MkI/L bayonets listed. They are very pricey, so choose wisely as far as condition of the bayonet is concerned. It was originally designed for use on the MkV Sten submachine gun. Use on the No4 rifles were relegated to parade use only.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic