Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Working out some loads.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working out some loads.
    Posted: July 26 2020 at 5:24pm
Last week I shot my No.4 mkI* to work out seating depth. The load was woodleigh 174 grain weldcore protected point bullets on top of 46 grains of BL-C(2) powder, Federal 210 LR primers loaded in partial full length sized R.P cases.
I started at 3.046” to be .025” off of lands worked up at .005” intervals to .005” off of lands with four round strings. The below picture is of the first load at 3.046” C.O.A.L and grouped into 6 and 1/8 inches centre to centre at 100 yards.

The rifle is shooting to the left so only three rounds of the next load hit the target and they are loaded to 3.051” and grouped 2.475 inches.

The next load has a C.O.A.L of 3.056” and again because of the rifle shooting left only three rounds hit the target and grouped 4.259” centre to centre.
The fourth load is loaded at 3.061” and grouped 5.441 inches.

The last load has a C.O.A.L of 3.066” and grouped 3.236 centre to centre.

Below is a picture of the rifle.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 6:25pm
Go with load 4.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 7:23pm
Based on these limited tests, I’d agree, load 4 gave the best results.  

My minimum tests are four ten shot groups.  I’ve learned over the years it’s just not possible to determine the best load from 5 shots.  5 shot groups will weed out loads that won’t group well, but won’t tell you the loads that will group well repeatedly.  

Repeatable results are everything.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 5:07am
You might want to try a 150 gr Hornady Spire Point.
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 11:41am
The reason that the test are limited is because I only have twenty R.P brass cases to work with for that rifle.
Honkytonk, I could try some 150 grain bullets but I liked the performance of the Woodleigh bullets on the deer I shot last year and as I have been drawn for elk and moose this season I want to make sure that I have enough bullet for them.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 12:40pm
Good point. For open sites, your last grouping, in my opinion, is very acceptable! More than enough for big game. P.S. That is a really nice looking rifle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 2:23pm
Depending on where the other two shots went, group 2 might be better.   Try to get all 5 on paper before you settle on a load.  

I’ve not found much difference in accuracy with bullet seating depth, most LE barrels have long throats, all 5 of my No. 4 rifles do, I can’t get anywhere near the lands, the bullet would be out of the case.  I’ve tested COAL ranging from 3.04 to 3.10 with no significant change in the average center to center spread of 10 shot groups.  

But, this is not to say it won’t make a difference in your rifle.  I just wouldn’t put a lot of stock in a single group of five shots.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 5:05pm
Your groups look basically good. The center, as you say as to the left. Adjust the front sight  a little to the left (front sight moves INTO the error) Then try again.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 11:27am
As you have the fore end cut down, it may affect the accuracy. What up pressure is applied to the barrel at the front band area (that would mid band on the standard fore end) You would probably require around 12lbs pressure. That would be similar to what bedded rifles from Fultons would have. It will probably help with the accuracy.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Good point. For open sites, your last grouping, in my opinion, is very acceptable! More than enough for big game. P.S. That is a really nice looking rifle!
Thank you Honkytonk.

I realize that seating depth doesn’t matter as much on a rifle with a long throat but you need to remember that my No.4 has the new Criterion barrel on it so it doesn’t have a long throat.

Zed, I’m not sure how much pressure is on the barrel as I don’t have a means to gage it.
The stock is a L42 A1 stock and was put on by Lee Enfield Restorations in Saskatchewan when they rebarrel it for me. If it makes a difference it’s also shooting 8-9 inches high.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 1:54pm
Check with britrifles. He had an issue with a Criterion barrel shooting wonky on his M1.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 2:54pm
You can remove the handguard and slip a sheet of shim stock or paper under the barrel bearing.  To measure the barrel bearing pressure correctly, raise the muzzle off the bearing with a spring scale having someone hold the rifle inverted on a bench such that it is supported at the front of the receiver and butt stock.  I made myself a simple stand to do this.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2020 at 10:35pm
The L42a1 fore end will be probably larger diameter inside for clearance around the heavy barrel fitted to that rifle. If your using the standard .303 barrel you won't have any support unless it was modified when being fitted to your rifle. Definitely worth looking at; as the wood plays an important part for accuracy with the standard barrel.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:26am
Britrifles can you give me a little more detailed instructions with pictures on how to check the barrel bearing pressure.

Explosive, the trigger is fine.

Zed, there is a gap above the barrel but there is some contact on the bottom.

I appreciate the advice been given here although there two other things that also have an affect on accuracy and they are the recoil and tall grass obscuring the target.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:38am
Goosic is correct, the L42 had a free floating heavy barrel, so unless the guy who installed your new barrel also bedded it to the forend, you won’t have any barrel pressure to measure.  Incidental, a free floated No. 4 service weight barrel can’t be expected to shoot accurately, the forend barrel bearing provided dampening or barrel vibration for improved accuracy.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:03pm
Okay, tell me how and I will give it a go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic