Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Stuff for Enfields > Wanted Items *Must Have 20 Points to Post.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1944-Dated P37 Frog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delican_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1944-Dated P37 Frog
    Posted: July 28 2020 at 5:38pm
A bit of a specific request here, but I am looking to purchase a 1944-dated, original Pattern 37/Lee Enfield bayonet frog from WW2. At this time I am only interested in true surplus pieces (no reproductions please) and am looking for an example that is complete (no rips or missing sections). I recently acquired a nice enfield that was made in 1944, so I am trying to gather as many "matching" accessories as possible. The item would need to be shipped to Canada, but I am more than glad to pay the associated shipping costs. Please let me know what you have and thanks for looking.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 8:46am
Do you want a British or a Canadian pattern one? They are slightly different.
Also Bayonets, scabbards & frogs were never "matched" in British service, they were not numbered or anything either. Basically they found whatever fitted & gave that out. (Hopefully that may make your search a little easier)?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Delican_38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delican_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Do you want a British or a Canadian pattern one? They are slightly different.
Also Bayonets, scabbards & frogs were never "matched" in British service, they were not numbered or anything either. Basically they found whatever fitted & gave that out. (Hopefully that may make your search a little easier)?

Thanks for the reply, Shamu. Ideally, I would be interested in a Canadian example, but I am also open to a British one as well. Just as long as the item is 1944-stamped, I would be content. Perhaps matching was the wrong word, but I am just trying to see if I can get everything with a 1944 date. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:08am
All original and unused No4 MkII Savage made bayonet in a No4 MkI scabbard all tucked into an original P37 1943 frog.
 This is the frog you are referring to?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:43am
No problem, just thought a heads up might help.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delican_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 5:29pm
This is exactly the sort of thing that I’m looking for, thanks for the picture. Now if only it was a 1944 example.
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

All original and unused No4 MkII Savage made bayonet in a No4 MkI scabbard all tucked into an original P37 1943 frog.
 This is the frog you are referring to?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 7:20pm
This is only one of two examples that will sometimes have a date on it. The majority of these have no dates on them whatsoever. eBay has them listed all the time but are usually either the Canadian type or reproductions.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 11:57am
Remember also that an infantry man would be supplied with whatever was in the stores. So in 1944; a  rifle could easily have a 1943 bayonet and frog to go with it.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2020 at 12:15pm
Delican. 
We here can all appreciate a numbers matching rifle and any date matching accoutrement that may go with it.  However, just as Zed has stated. The infantryman got what he got to make the system work. As long as it was capable of fitting to or working with that particular rifle,out the door it went. Do not get yourself hung up on having everything date matched. A perfect example of a non date matched rifle would be one that went through a Factory Thorough Repair,  FTR. Minus the receiver (master component) and the bolt assembly,  any part drawn from the parts bin,regardless of actual manufacturers date or from where it actually originated from was fitted to the rifle. The same can be said for the bayonets as well. It didn't matter the factory it originated from or when it was made. Give the man a bayonet and next gentleman in line move forward. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2020 at 8:03pm
in 44 they would not have "matching numbers" stuff was issued as required but a canadian issue will have the C-arrow marking , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delican_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 7:13am
Btt please 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 9:37pm
I did alot of footwork trying to locate a 1944 dated frog. I found 1940, 1943, 1945, 1948, 1952, and 1953 dated frogs. The 45', 48', 52', and 53' frogs were Isreal made. Check a website, www.worldbayonets.com Cluck on the British bayonet frogs link. Not alot if any information about specific years being stamped on them. They were just an accessory that was needed. The only time a date stamp was used,it was due to the particular manufacturer who made the frog. NO more,no less...
I did manage to find one though. eBay.

TomcatPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 12:33am
Is that an Indian made frog?  Just my gut reaction tells me this frog was made in India, still a British piece of kit,  just made in India.
Mark

The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 5:26am
Regardless of manufacturer, it is original and date stamped 1944 as the original poster requested.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delican_38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 10:29am
Thanks, everyone, for the replies and information. I should explain that I am now only interested in a 1944-dated, Canadian-marked example and am willing to pay up to $100USD (plus shipping) for one. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 3:28pm
Everything I have found so far regarding the Canadian made frogs show post war manufacturering. British,Belgium,and India made however show models made between 1940 and 1953 however.  I think I have a British made 1944 stamped frog. I still have to find it though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic