Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight of the Bumble Bee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 6:20am
Goosic,
Not wishing to mess up your development, but I'm attaching this from the Lyman manual;
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 6:25am
According to this chart, (Had it for years) your present charge is max for 3031, and well over max for your prior load.
I also have  a load for Norma 202....
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 8:38am
I dropped to 35.0grns. There is no possible way this round is going to cause any issues. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

According to this chart, (Had it for years) your present charge is max for 3031, and well over max for your prior load.
I also have  a load for Norma 202....

What is the 202 load please.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 4:15pm
Richard, which edition is your Lyman manual?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 8:12pm
Simon,

It's not mine, but have had that page saved for many years.  A mate sent me it, but can't remember which one!
I only have Sierra and Hornady manuals, and they're Old.

Goosic,
I'll look out the Norma load for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 5:00am
I’ve got several old Lyman editions, I’ll look thru them.  

Of course, these should be used with caution, powder companies change their formulation Over the years.  I’ve got some powder from the 60’s and I use these manuals to load it.  The powder was kept for many years in our basement in Cornwall, Ontario, which rarely got above 75 deg in summer and usually about 60 deg in winter, and its still good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 6:35am
Found the Lyman manual, was their 45th edition Simon.
Found the exact same picture on-line, so whoever shared it with me maybe got it on-line, Or posted it and it wound up on line.

Goosic,
The only one I had stored was from a now unknown source,  (Load for the Norma # 202)
So worthless really.
Here it is for what it's worth;
Sorry I don't recall who gave me this!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 6:48am
I looked at Norma's reloading data, and they used Norma 203b for the 215 grain.
I don't know that powder at all, only being familiar with Norma 200, 202, , 204 and MRP.

This from Norma reloading pages;

Bullet;  Woodleigh 215 gr.
Powder, Norma 203-B.
Charge max;  40 gr.  Vel. 2310.
           Min.    38 grs. Vel. 2195.

This powder seems closer to Norma # 202 than the  204.

The load in the above post for #202 Seems logical, compared to the #203-B load.  But No Recommendations!!!
OldManMontgomery View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManMontgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 7:40pm
I'll sit in if no one objects.  
I have two No 1 MkIII types.  I collect WWI infantry rifles so  these are a must.  I have a Ruger No 1 in .303 British as a friend wanted to get rid of it (no idea).  Lately, read the biographical work of WMD Bell.  One of the three rifles he kept was a British service rifle which he cited as using a 215 grain (military FMJ), velocity unspecified, but it seemed to have suitable killed elephants.  So I have a Lee-Enfield No 4 Mk1/2 (F) FTR.  Looks externally like a No 4, but the  trigger is not pinned in the trigger guard but mounted to the receiver.  I am attempting to make this my 'sporter' but getting the fore stock on is - ah - difficult.  (I bought it 'pre-owned' and the original stock was long gone.)  

To the point.  I think a 215 grain bullet (like unto those made by Woodleigh) would be marvelous for larger game.  So I'm working on it - presuming I can get this oddball rifle put together.  

I have a copy of Lyman 45.  Which works nicely, as later versions seem to omit the heavy bullet.  

Similar to the U. S. .30-03 round, the early bullet in the .303 was a heavy round.  Which makes sense as all the cartridge designers learned on designing black powder cartridges.  The early Lee Medfords (afterwards Lee-Enfields) were made and twisted for the heavy bullet.  Based on the late Elmer Keith's writings, a velocity of 2100 FPS is all that is needed for proper results.  So I'm not going to attempt any super fast loads.  

Keep in touch.
I am always ready to learn. I do not always appreciate being taught.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 5:39am
I finally dug put my old Lyman manuals, it is the 45 th Ed. (1970) that gives a max load of 36.0 IMR 3031.  This is with Remington case, Rem 9 1/2 primers and a Remington 215 gr Soft Point jacketed bullet.  The 44th Ed. (1967) gives this same load. 

Be cautious when approaching maximum loads using old data, the IMR 3031 powder today may well have different burn characteristics than it did in the 1960’s.  Also, substituting magnum primers for standard large rifle primers will increase pressures.  Cases with less internal volume will increase pressures.  Seating bullets deeper than what the load was developed with increases pressures.  A bullet with more bearing surface on the bore can increase pressures. 

I don’t think IMR 3031 is the best choice with heavy bullets, it is on the fast side of medium rifle powders.  You can obtain higher velocities with slower powders at the same pressure. 

I also have the Lyman 41 Ed manual (1957) and it gives 40.0 gr as max charge of 3031 with 215 gr jacketed bullet, thats 4.0 grains higher load than shown in the 44 th Ed (1967) and 45 th Ed (1970).  That is a big difference between these two manuals. Clearly something changed...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 5:49am
I’ve also got Steve Redgwell’s book, Shooting the .303 British (1999).  He has load data for the 215 gr Woodleigh Weldcore.  

He doesn’t list 3031, but does give several current powders, for example: 

MAX 41.5 gr IMR 4320, 2227 fps

MAX 43.5 gr IMR 4350, 2125 fps

Winchester cases, CCI 200 primers, 3.075 inch COL.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 6:13am
Also, I did post some load data I got from Woodleigh earlier. Might be a good place to start...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic