Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight of the Bumble Bee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 2:46pm
I have located a donor reciever and I have a 2A1 7.62x51mm barrel and a Sterling 7.62mm conversion magazine. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Wow. That is something to consider... interesting turn of events. I had emailed Woodleigh in Australia to see about some load data, and just received it after reading Goosics post! They quote five different powders, including H4350. They list it like this;
H4350 42 to 46 gr... 2075 to 2260
Varget 36 to 41 gr... 1900 to 2170
Reloader 15 38 to 43 gr... 2070 to 2250
Reloader 17 42 to 46 gr... 2065 to 2260
Vihtavouri 38 to 43 gr... 2000 to 2260
Please don't quote me on these numbers as they are just from an email. The above is for their 215 gr RN.
Not sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe just be happy with my 174 gr Hornady RN's?

Honkytonk.  The turn of events fall totally on me. It is not the bullets or the powders fault.  I used outdated data and fortunately it cost me a rifle only. A lesson learned indeed.
I have one No5Mk1 Santa Fe Special and I am not using that for hunting. I will still pull all the 215's and send them to you if you want them.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 3:12pm
Wasn't the original 215 Gr load a B/P one?
Asking for a friend you unnerstann.Censored
"

.303 British in the Beginning

The .303 British started as a blackpowder, jacketed-bullet cartridge- not the best combination. The bullet was a long, 215-grain FMJ RN over a pelleted charge of blackpowder. Most sources state the muzzle velocity was 1,850 fps from a 30-inch test barrel, the length used in original Lee-Metford Mk1 service rifles. Note that I included "long" in the bullet description. That bullet placed demands on rifle chambers that affected future development of .303 service ammunition."

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 5:35pm
Goosic, a generous offer but I'm going to pass. Please keep us posted on your latest project!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 5:51pm
I am in the process of switching out my 45 ACP converted No4Mk1/2 to a 7.62x51mm.  I just finished indexing and headspacing the barrel.  I will have the action body and barrel repolished and reblued tomorrow. 
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 6:52pm
I'd buy those 215 grain projectiles, Goosic.
If you didn't mind sending them north...

So sorry to hear of the mishap!!

Richard.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 7:12pm

Wow. That is something to consider... interesting turn of events. I had emailed Woodleigh in Australia to see about some load data, and just received it after reading Goosics post! They quote five different powders, including H4350. They list it like this;
H4350 42 to 46 gr... 2075 to 2260
Varget 36 to 41 gr... 1900 to 2170
Reloader 15 38 to 43 gr... 2070 to 2250
Reloader 17 42 to 46 gr... 2065 to 2260
Vihtavouri 38 to 43 gr... 2000 to 2260
Please don't quote me on these numbers as they are just from an email. The above is for their 215 gr RN.
Not sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe just be happy with my 174 gr Hornady RN's?

43 gr Re 15 with a 215 gr bullet seems a stout load to me.  I’ve used 42.5 with a 174 gr SMK and concluded it was a bit hot based on chrono readings (about 150 fps over Mk VII Service ammo IIRC).  I backed off to 40 gr for the 174.  I’d suggest 39 gr with a 215 gr bullet.  Same goes with Varget. 

303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 9:09pm
According to my Lee reloading manual Reloader 15 with a 180 grain bullet has a maximum charge of 42 grains for 2479 fps.
Sorry to hear about the rifle Goosic, glad you are all right.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 9:13pm
Thank you. Better the rifle than me.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 6:39am
On another note, when I was looking into purchasing 215 gr .303, I came across a forum on another brand  that made them. In the forum, they mentioned some failures similar to Goosics. Everything was going good, then, not. They mentioned erratic pressure spikes possibly being caused by too soft of jacket. I didn't read about a definitive cause, so I don't want to mention the brand name. I mentioned I purchased, loaded and tested some Hornady 174 gr RN with excellent accuracy @ 100 yards. The H4895 powder load is below maximum, but probably still produces a bullet speed of 2375-2400 ft/sec. After reading about what combination of speed/round nose bullet design works best for big game, and as 200 yards and under is a typical distance for whitetail for me, I may back down the load to produce a speed of 2200'ish, hoping accuracy is still "palm of hand." Winter project!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 8:02am
The first nine shots were all inside a three inch circle on a 12"×18" target. The tenth and final shot hit 4 inches above and to the left of the target. 

I just finished bluing and assembling the newly converted No4Mk1/2. I did a thorough search of any cracks in the wood from yesterday's incident and have found none, which i am extremely grateful for. It looks very much like the same rifle but it is not unfortunately. I have a 0700 range time on the 14th. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 9:27am
Goosic. What product do you use to blue barrels/receivers? Also, do you think the "gas port" on the receiver helped in damage control?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 9:40am

Goosic. What product do you use to blue barrels/receivers? Also, do you think the "gas port" on the receiver helped in damage control?
Casey's Birchwood Perma Blue.
 The headspacing had alot to do with it. It kept the bolt locked up proper. Everything happened in the chamber where the case head separated. In my minds eye, I believe that everything kept going forward past the gas port resulting in that extra kick i felt. The pressure built up enough to damage the bolt but i do not believe in made it back to the gas port. What i thought was a crack in the reciever was actually a  scratch mark i left trying to remove the bolt. I cut the reciever and bolt, boxed it up and threw it in the trash.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 10:41am
I couldn't wait! Yesterday I annealed, trimmed, tumbled 20 twice used PPI brass, loaded with 36 grs H4895 and topped off with a Hornady 174 gr RN. I did a similar load prior with 37 grs H4895. OAL of both are 2.94". I just came back from the range and was very happy with the results. Using my No5 with original sights, I produced a five shot group of 4.12". This combo will be my whitetail bush rifle and I would have no problems taking a poke at a standing broadside deer at 150 yards. The other load I mentioned will be used in my 4x scoped cammoed Sporter and again, I would have no problem lobbing one out at an animal at 200 yards, probably a max distance where I hunt. My hunting buddies both shoot .308's and use some kind of plastic tipped 150's. Both had shoulder shots last year that absolutely hand grenaded on impact. They think I'm nuts using the round nose.... and loading it sub 2400 ft/sec!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 11:26am
I pulled everything i had 215grn.  Pukka Bundook is going to get 86 of the projectiles.  I took the remaining 45 and reloaded them using a starting charge weight of 36.0grns of IMR3031, still using the magnum primers. The data suggests that the top speed will be 1886 maybe 1911 fps.
I know I did something very wrong the other day and I have to rectify this situation.  The only way I know how to do that is to take out the only No4Mk1 I have left as a hunting rifle and retest.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 11:34am
Best of luck and be safe! If travel from Canada wasn't restricted, I'd send my wife down to pull the trigger!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic