Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identification assist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identification assist
    Posted: November 15 2020 at 6:26pm
Hi all,
Thank you for allowing me into your group!
I need some of your experience and wisdom in learning about my .303 passed down to me from my father. I had it into a gun smith for a deep cleaning and inspection, all is good. Here are the pictures showing the i.d numbers to assist: 

Buster001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 6:29pm
not sure how to add multiple pics,

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2020 at 9:22pm
Welcome from Phoenix Arizona Buster001.
Just from what I learned the other day, your rifle was manufactured at the BSA Shirley plant. 
The BNP is a British Nitro Proof stamp that goes along with the other markings that indicate the rifle was approved for civilian sale. 
Has the stock and barrel been cutdown?
Buster001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 5:49am
No, the stock and barrel are full size no alterations, do u have any additional info?
Buster001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 5:58am
There is also a marking on the stock barely visible, there is also a 3 is this the model number?

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 6:26am
Welcome from Brandon Manitoba Canada!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 7:28am
I'm afraid that stock has been cut down, fortunately the barrel doesn't seem to be.
It should look like this (more or less).
You'd need a forend, front & rear handguards & some metal hardware plus a bit of hand fitting to restore it.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 7:34am
 Your rifle is a No4Mk1.  It has a Mk1 Singer rear micrometer sight.
The forend has been cut down and both hand guards are missing as well.
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 8:53am
if that was handed down to me by my father I would leave it as is, as he had it and enjoyed it.  not restore it to original.  you can always get an original military version.  
double gun
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 10:46am
I'd probably go the other way. Buy a rifle with the barrel already cut down and put it in the Sporter furniture. Use the full length hardware and purchase a new set of wood. Now you have two rifles to remember your father with!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 12:20pm
Not in my possession any longer but, I had the same identical setup.  It currently is sitting in a shipping container along with a fairly mint condition Parker Hale Supreme No4, a 1873 Winchester slabside in 44-40, and two original 1873 Colt SSA's. Because the container belongs to my father and,"possession is 9/10ths the law." Those weapons are lost to history and will never see the light of day, unless someone, besides me talks him into an offer he would not refuse. It's all about money to the man,except my money. The truly sad part about it is the Parker Hale.  It has four spare PH magazines,  four spare PH scope mounts,bases,and rings RALS3,and two spare Redfield 3-9×40 scopes for it that was purchased from the Rod and Gun club that was near the Army base he was stationed at in Nue Ulm,"pre 1968." Last time I talked to him I offered him $2500.00 for the PH and the other Enfield.  I was told that they will rot to the ground before he will give them to me. That was almost twelve years ago. I haven't physically seen or touched that rifle in almost 25 years.
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 1:28pm
sorry to hear that man.  not just the rifles but the family issue.
double gun
Ol Man Beezer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol Man Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 2:54pm
That’s a purdy rifle your dad handed down to you.  

Goosic....  I think we all have had some rifles or guns that we can no longer obtain.  When I was in middle school out house got broken into and an ammo locker and many rifles and shotguns were stolen.  My dad was in the US Navy submarine service for 23 years and a lot of the guns were ones he obtained they the navy or overseas.  What I can remember was 2 M1 Garands still in foil he bought when they shut down some barracks on Pearl Harbor.  He paid $50 each in the 60’s.  A couple double barrel shotguns, 3 lever action rifles, 30-30’s. And a few others.  And a navy survival/dive knife from the escape trunk on a sub.  It was a very sharp knife in a brass screw in scabbard.  I wish we still had them all.  
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 3:48pm
Yeah thats a sad state of affairs. Family disagreements tend to drag out over time for no good reason other than someone being too fearful to admit they were wrong.
The better man will try to hold out their hand and let the past be the past.   I hope that in your case this happens situation resolves itself sometime sooner rather than later.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 4:20pm
 I let go of trying to reconcile with the man a decade ago.  He will not budge from his stance as to what transpired and will not let go of past transgressions.  He has been asked on multiple occasions to resolve his issues before time runs out of his life to no avail. He has three grandchildren and one great grandchild that he chooses to have nothing to do with and anything that ties him to his past is locked in that container.
A quote that I will take to grave with me. " No use in crying over spilled milk boy, this family stuff is tits up!"
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 5:41pm
as a sporter its a nice one , original - no , but returnable should you wish to invest in the effort , i think , if it were me , id take time to shoot it and live with it a bit before making that decision , you inherited it , it has sentimental value to you - need to weigh that against the efforts and funds needed to restore it , 

i always encourage restoration to those willing to go the distance , but if this means more to you as a hunting rifle your father passed down i would fully encourage that , 

welcome to the site , you will enjoy it here , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic