FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scope mounts for Sht LE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Old man with a lee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old man with a lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mounts for Sht LE
    Posted: November 20 2020 at 2:13pm
I removal of the charger bridge and the installation of the Williams sight was done prior to my purchasing the rifle. My only experience, at the time with military rifles, was my father's 8MM German Mauser and an Italian 7MM that I had purchased at Sears. I didn't have it very long. The front sight fell off first time out hunting, you couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Four months later I was 1a and thought it best to enlist. Never saw that rifle again. My father tossed it out. 
Sht LE mk111, Ruger .223, .357, 9mm,.22, Tokarev 9mm, CVA .50, Marlin Glenfield Mod 25 .22
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 7:29am
I don't know of any such mount.
The big problem would be position, no two sets of rivet holes are in the same place!
There is an alternative, but I don't know if its what you want.
S&K makes an "InstaMount" for the SMLE that is attached with a band surrounding the breech end of the barrel. You do have to cut a space in the stock for it though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 12:16am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i cant say anything of your mkIII* other than that charger bridge was an integral part of the original rifle , i know little of the mounts for scopes on these but never saw one that required removal of the bridge to mount it , we have resident "gunsmith types" that will respond and perhaps one of them has an idea , 

welcome to the site , enjoy your enfield 

He has (unfortunately) a Williams receiver mount rear sight, which the charger bridge would (probably) obscure.

Shame really - would have been a nice rifle.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 4:38pm
i cant say anything of your mkIII* other than that charger bridge was an integral part of the original rifle , i know little of the mounts for scopes on these but never saw one that required removal of the bridge to mount it , we have resident "gunsmith types" that will respond and perhaps one of them has an idea , 

welcome to the site , enjoy your enfield 
Old man with a lee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old man with a lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 6:58am
Ok, newbie here again with another Question. What is, in your opinion the better scope mount for a 1916 Sht LE .303 with no charger bridge ? Are there any scope mounts utilizing the charger bridge rivet holes ? As an older hunter, my eyes are not what they once were and I still like to hunt but feel that a scope might enhance my success rate. To that end, I would like to mount a scope on my rifle and feel that you enthusiasts could direct me to the best suited one for my rifle. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Sht LE mk111, Ruger .223, .357, 9mm,.22, Tokarev 9mm, CVA .50, Marlin Glenfield Mod 25 .22
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic