Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Morning coffee/ and weather reports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 5:10pm
nice!  .30-06 or .308?

Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Weather is warming up in the South East.  Spent the day rebarreling in my M1.  A few months back, started getting occasional fliers.  It now has a Krieger 1:12 twist chrome-molly barrel.  

double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 5:12pm
84 degrees today.  yesterday  was 83, went fishing and had a nice redfish dinner tonight.
double gun
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 5:13pm
double gun
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 3:47am
Got up to 76 deg yesterday in ATL.  

Devrep, my M1 is .30-06.  

An expensive barrel, but I’m hoping it will show that on the target.  I opted for a slightly slower twist, 1:12, I shoot 125 grain bullets in 200 yard matches. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 7:33am
A random thought about that.
How about FRS/GMRS radios?
One for the inmate patient, one for the visitors!
They're cheap, plentiful, & can be disinfected after the inmate patient has done with it?
Many have "privacy codes" & can be "locked" to prevent accidental setting changes for the non-technical types.
Basically turn on, push to talk, release to listen. Some even have auto VOX where it hears the speaker & switches to Xmit & drops back to RX when they stop talking.
You can't be with them, but you could talk to them through the window at least.
https://www.wilderness-survival-gear.com/images/watermarked/2/detailed/6/GXT1000VP4.jpg

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

It's been an up and down couple of weeks! A mix of emotions!
We lost my wifes Mother to Altzeimer's on the 12th; She lived in Ireland so had to watch the funeral on-line. That was actually really well presented so helped us a lot.
On the 18th, my Mum had a stroke and was taken into hospital. She's in the UK and can't visit anyway due to Covid restrictions. Apparently she's not too bad; but time will tell.
19th was my daughter's birthday; so a ray of sunshine!

The weather was -7°C two weeks ago and light snow; then spring like 17°C most of last week during my week off. 

condolences Zed , its hard enough loosing a parent , in todays climate of control its even harder - i think this to be so far from unreasonable i have to squelch my true words on the subject - one day down the road we should lynch those that decided to seclude our loved ones in their last moments , or ill volunteer for the firing squads - no blanks needed  this is reminiscent of hitler and mouselini in my book , 

why are we worrying of covid when they are dyeing ? 
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 6:55pm

Got up to 76 deg yesterday in ATL.  

Devrep, my M1 is .30-06.  

An expensive barrel, but I’m hoping it will show that on the target.  I opted for a slightly slower twist, 1:12, I shoot 125 grain bullets in 200 yard matches. 

I was going to ask if you shot lighter bullets vs 168's or 175's, 

I shot local Garand matches for a few years, , got lucky and placed 3rd for the year once, 

(a father and son beat me )

I rarely get to shoot a match any more, and got a chance  last fall,  took the same gun out I used in the past, 

the worst score I ever had, 

gun functioned fine,   no reason to doubt it was not accurate , used the same loads of 168's,, 

but I am way way way out of practice,  and not in as good a shape (round is a shape,, right?)

then I realized it was maybe 2001 or 2002 when I shot that rifle in comps,, 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 5:10am
Lyman, my scores drop if I don’t practice or shoot in matches once a week, especially in the standing position.  With the unavailability of reloading components, I won’t be able to keep a weekly shooting pace indefinitely.  

I shoot the Speer TNT 125 grain in my M1.  Very accurate at least to 200 yards.  Light load of H4895. Really helps in the rapid stage to keep on target. 

I’m heading out to the Range on Friday to break the new barrel in and see how it groups.  Will be shooting the M1, No. 4 and AR in a CMP match in 2 weeks in Talladega that was set up in place of the Western Regionals in Phoenix that was cancelled due to COVID. 

klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 10:24am
Can't wait to get the boat out again, and go
Fishing.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 9:33pm
hard to imagine we were -20sF a couple weeks ago , we are now getting +40s , im headed south to iowa this week , wonder what ill get into ? they have been in a different pattern there , more snow by far , 

our snow over the weekend is near gone now - river is into the back yard , im feeling like the other shoe is bound to drop real soon , we never get this weather this time of year EXCEPT 1988 - that year it started now and just kept getting better till we hit memorial day weekend at +103F , now given that was an anomaly , but it was a WTF time in my life ill never forget , 
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 11:16am

Lyman, my scores drop if I don’t practice or shoot in matches once a week, especially in the standing position.  With the unavailability of reloading components, I won’t be able to keep a weekly shooting pace indefinitely.  

I shoot the Speer TNT 125 grain in my M1.  Very accurate at least to 200 yards.  Light load of H4895. Really helps in the rapid stage to keep on target. 

I’m heading out to the Range on Friday to break the new barrel in and see how it groups.  Will be shooting the M1, No. 4 and AR in a CMP match in 2 weeks in Talladega that was set up in place of the Western Regionals in Phoenix that was cancelled due to COVID. 

definitely a perishable skill,   

did use my scoped AR in Service Rifle a few months ago,  
still shot horribly,  by my old standard, but much much better than I did with that M1, 

unfortunately I went from shooting one match a month and a couple practice sessions in between, to  one or 2 matches a year, with very little practice,, 

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 4:29pm
it was +46F today and predicted to be higher through the weekend , may get to +60s next week , all with sunshine no precip in the forcast , im headed to iowa tomorrow , hope this holds true through my four day trip , and hope they are getting this south of here and not any bad weather , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by lyman1903 lyman1903 wrote:

definitely a perishable skill,   

did use my scoped AR in Service Rifle a few months ago,  
still shot horribly,  by my old standard, but much much better than I did with that M1, 

unfortunately I went from shooting one match a month and a couple practice sessions in between, to  one or 2 matches a year, with very little practice,, 

Opening up the Service Rifle matches to 4x scopes has definitely helped keep shooters into the game longer.  I’m about to turn 60, and I know my days of competitively shooting the M1 and No. 4 will end soon.  I’m probably at my peak now with those rifles. 

I just started modern Service Rifle shooting with the AR last year, so I should improve a bit more...would like to be able to reach High Master with the SR before I “retire”...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 6:25pm
Beautiful day in the South East.  Temp got to 60 deg, low humidity, winds about 5 to 6 mph.  

Took my M1 to break in the new Krieger 1:12 twist barrel.  The installation went very well, got it timed perfectly.  Front and rear sight set to zero windage and shots were dead center, did not have to make any windage adjustment at 200 yards.  

The break in process is tedious.  Fire one round, clean bore of copper, then repeat.  It took a full 20 rounds of fire/clean to get the fouling to ease up.  Then fire 3 strings of 3 shots each and clean after each string.  

I’m very pleased with the results.  This M1 now shoots as good as my No. 4.  Accuracy had gone down the tubes with the Criterion barrel that had about 3,000 to 4,000 rounds thru it.  It should have lasted longer, but it was throwing fliers into the 8 ring, basically a 6 MOA rifle, can’t win any matches with that. 

Here’s the 10 shot string after the initial break-in.  Shot 1, 4 and 7 were from a clean cold bore.  200 yards on SR target zoomed in to the 9 ring.  Group is right at 2 MOA.  The last 4 shots were made quickly to see if anything moved as the barrel heated.  The shoots on the left and right edges were all me, I think this M1 will hold the X ring now if I do my part.  

Load:

Cases, Mixed manufacturers FL sized
Primer CCI #34
Powder H4895 44.5 grains (light load)
Bullet 125 gr Speer TNT Varmint 
OAL 3.15 in.

Now, if only Krieger made a barrel for the No. 4, that would be sweet.  

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 10:15am
That's a good day out!
I had the pleasure of breaking in a new barrel on my No1MkIII* a few years ago. It's quite tedious; but well worth the effort in the long term.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 7:25pm
so the trip went well - weather was great , but ...here we had +50s all weekend and my wife , the true minnesotan , turned off the furnace , it was +62 this evening when i got home - she said it seemed ok to her , as nice as the warmer weather is here - that is "not ok" in the house , either heat or cool , not acceptable to me except outside , i have my space heater on - i only run it when its -30 normally , 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
  Share Topic