Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 vs 150

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 vs 150
    Posted: November 24 2020 at 6:24am
I have a question for multiple Calibre shooters as the only high power Calibre rifles I have is .303. When I was experimenting with different projectile weights, with a scoped rifle, I found that 180's shot consistently 3" higher than the 150's @ 100 yards. (Scope sighted for 150's) Is this similar with other calibre's? Thanks!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 7:06am
Pretty much. The heavier projectile takes more time to exit the barrel. Enough to have the barrel climb from the recoil a fraction more and result with a higher impact.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 7:59am
Yup. the barrel vibrations make a big difference.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 11:46am
This is well described in Reynolds book, and in later articles he wrote for UK and US NRA magazines.

Both barrel and receiver flexibility (stiffness) play into this as does the location of the barrel bearing in the forend (as that changes barrel harmonics).   My center bedded rifles behave opposite to the muzzle bedded rifles.  I’ve tested this out by running running a range of charge weights in 0.5 gr increments to increase velocity.  

The muzzle bedded No. 1 and No. 4 rifles are said to have “positive compensation”, meaning that slow bullets leave the muzzle at a higher angle of departure.   At short ranges, slow bullets impact the target at a higher elevation, at long range, the slow bullets impact lower on the target (due to trajectory). The range that gives the same POI is known as the “compensation range”, and it somewhere between 600 and 900 yards, depending on the rifle.  The No. 1 rifle generally shows more “positive compensation” than the No. 4. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 1:35pm
I wonder how the L39/L42/Envoy/Enforcer behave as they are presumably center bedded if not free floated?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 1:54pm
I have a general Ammo question - hopefully I can piggy back on this thread.  I just purchased a 1945 303 with calibrated for HV ammo.  Once my gunsmith clears it for shooting I want to do some plinking - I have an old porthole plate at 100 yards I want to "plink"   What is a good ammo you can recommend.  I have shot the inexpensive WOLF handgun ammo (45ACP) and while fine, it tends to be a little dirty.  Thanks for your input.  Regards,
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 1:59pm
PPU ammunition is definitely a good choice as is Seller& Belloit  if all you are going to do is plink.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 7:40am
Wow, try finding some 303 british ammo anywhere!    I thought it was just the common sizes but there is an absolute shortage.  I found someone selling PPU on gunbroker and managed to win the auction at about 1.05/round.   A little more then the market price on Cheap Ammo, but the difference is I have ammo :)  Thanks for the advice.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 7:42am
Yeah theres a panic buying spree going on right now because everyone's nervous about the "Pres Almost Elect" Biden"s new EO's coming down the pike in Jan.
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 3:53pm
Curious now what might be the going rate for 303 ammo in the different area’s & if any might be in stock?
Cheer’s 
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:08pm
I reload and have 303 ammunition to last out the rest of my life so I have not seen any current prices. 308 on the other hand? I saw a listing both on GunBrokers and Armslist for 5 boxes of 175grn 308W ammunition.  The asking price of $285.00 kinda shocked me a little. $2.85 per bullet seems a tad steep to me IMHO...
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:19pm
Latest batch of Winchester 180gr someone brought in was $1.75 a bang.💥😬
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:34pm
Most ammunition is not available in from the major retailers.  The ammo that trickles in is gone in a matter of hours.  Prices are 2x to 3x or more what they were before the current shortages.  Price of 9mm pistol ammunition is ridiculous. 

Not a lot of demand for .303, so you might find some in back country stores.  And maybe they haven’t marked them up to current prices.

I reload for my common calibers: .30-06, .308, .303 and .223.   I also have a fair bit of .30-06, 7.62 and .303 military surplus.  I’ve had to start cutting back on my shooting as I don’t know when or if this shortage of primers and powder will be over.  Match participation seems to have been affected already, and many match shooters are hoarders of primer, powder and bullets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 7:39pm
I agree with comments above. Finding 303 British in Retail stores is like finding a jar of hens teeth. However GB has a ton of 303 for sale and I have no idea where they get it.  In early December I bought ammo at $1.05 shipped. By end of January it was north of $2.50. I won’t pay the $3/round some people are asking. However I recently purchased 192 rounds of non-corrosive boxer primed mid-80s Greek Milsurp for $1.48/round on GB.  Honestly I was lucky as no one bid me up. Be careful of the milsurp. A lot is corrosive and /or berdan primed. Berdan is only an issue if you want to reload.  If bidding on GB I set my price about 10% above my limit and walk away. This way if you win you don’t have buyers remorse and if you lose you don’t regret being cheap. That’s what I do anyway. Good luck. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 8:37pm
PS. I know my local gun shop owners well and we chatted last week. He is getting his ammo orders cut by 2/3 from the manufactures. And, while his order is on back order the suppliers are raising prices twice. As much as I love a conspiracy theory (I really do) he reckons it is purely a COVID-19 supply chain issue especially as most primers are made in Chi-na, Coupled with record demand driven by the extreme gun control bills already in congress (HR 127), Biden’s published manifesto on gun control , and 8 million new gun owners last year. So a good ol fashion economic imbalance. 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 5:11am
I use factory loads..I note that most places round here have .303 ammo selling north of $42.00 Cdn for box/20.(& climbing)
I suspect by time hunting season rolls around, it will be pretty dear.

(Glad I stocked up way back!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic