Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heinz 57 variety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 4:57am
Now I have another dilemma the brass butt plate I have is smaller than the pot mettle butt plate, can't swap them.?
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 5:13am
The brass butt plate has an F stamped in the back
The pot mettle one ,I didn't see any mark.taking a quick look.
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 5:20am
And the stock is stamped FR.
How many different size stocks & butt plates are there?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 8:31am
Long, Normal, Short. You may encounter a Bantam length but those are extremely rare on a No4 rifle. The brass buttplate you have may have been on a sporterized buttstoxk and reshaped to fit. I have five spare buttplates of various manufacturers and they are all the same size. The buttplate on the far left and second one in from the right are unissued to show a comparison between new and used.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 8:47am
The stocks will be marked with either a;
L=Long
N or no mark=Normal
S=Short
B=Bantam ( Extremely rare on a No4 buttstock.)
The stamp would typically be found on the upper portion of the buttstock near the buttplate. 
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 9:10am
Thanks for your info. I just came back from my favorite gun shop, the gun Smith there says he has 4 or 5 back at his shop, that he's going to bring in next week for me to try.
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 11:07am
Being today is cold damp and raining. Iam giving this rifle it's 3 scrubbing, trying to get a clean patch out of the barrel, iam not even close.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 11:33am
It takes a while if it hasn't been done in a long time.
I don't try to get it all at once.

1 X dry patch, 3 X wet with your preferred cleaner.
Let stand, muzzle down, as long as its recommended, no more.
3 dry followed by 3 wet patches.
Repeat as needed.
I use M-Pro-7 copper remover, or Hoppes "Elite" (same thing) let stand overnight.
The trick is to not over scrub the bore which can be harmful! Instead let the chemistry in the solvents just eat it out.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 12:17pm
Will give it a try, thanks
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 2:44pm
I've had to do it for 14 days or more. But as it only takes 5 minutes a day its not as bad as it sounds. Beer
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 7:37pm
well worth the effort and yes a process , we have the time - do it right 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 5:26am
Using a bronze brush will help loosen hardened powder fouling.  Clean from breech end, push brush all the way out the muzzle, then pull rod back until the brush is in the chamber.  Do not reverse the brush in the bore.  5 to 10 passes with the brush will remove a lot of gunk.  Follow with a few wet patches and let soak. 

You can let Hoppes soak indefinitely.  For cleaning a barrel hat has sat fouled for years, I’ll patch/brush twice a day and let it soak in between using Hoppes 9.  Then once patches come out clean, I’ll check for copper fouling with Boretech Eliminator.  

I’m a big fan of the Parker Hale style jags for cleaning (although can’t be used with Eliminator, it will eat the brass). 

klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 5:32am
Thanks guy's, iam letting it soak, looks like someone shot ammo that was corrosive in it at one time, I can see some pitting
klondike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klondike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 5:35am
Thanks guy's, iam letting it soak, looks like someone shot ammo that was corrosive in it at one time, I can see some pitting , my wife has a cow when I get the copper bore cleaner stuff out, she comes running in my room WHAT STINKS.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 6:03am
Aughhhh, then she will appreciate it if you get some Boretech Eliminator.  No smell whatsoever, awesome stuff...

Hoppes 9 will devolve the copper slowly, might take a week.  Boretech does it in about 10 minutes.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 9:23am
The M-pro/ Hoppes Elite is stink-free too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic