Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Serial Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jhonelver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhonelver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Serial Numbers
    Posted: February 15 2021 at 6:06am
Greetings from the Netherlands.

I got the same rifle with the same numbering style.
mine is 00882 also FR 1963 RFI.

this means this rifle had been repaired by ishapore.
but what they did asswell is removing some markings and adding their own.
they also added their own S/N and removed the original S/N.

they also changed the Stock of the rifle adding extra support which was normal for No.1 Mk.III rifles but not for No.4 rifles. only Ishapore made these changes.

they made these changes because India became an independent state and wanted their rifles changed to their needs. all rifles went to ishapore. i have also seen No.1 Mk.III rifles that were stripped of the original markings and got the Ishapore ashoka.

That is a little bit of history.

mine was an original early 1942 No.4 MkI* savage. 
probably yours asswell.

if you have any specific questions on this rifle, please ask.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2020 at 6:31am
Welcome from North Carolina.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 2:51pm
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 2:46pm
edit

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by zerstorer335 zerstorer335 wrote:

Right now, these are the only other photos I have that show markings (since I'm still in the middle of getting all the gunk out).  This first one is the left side of the receiver.  

This second one is on the left side of the barrel, above the lower half of the handguard.

I'll post more once the cleanup has made progress, especially if I can find any markings.  

How do you remove the bolt? Is there a slot cut into bolt raceway or us there a catch just behind the charging bride?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 2:20pm
Odd  That would be a Savage or Longbranch   I have an early production Longbranch and that is 0L04609   I believe all that  Savage rifle had the C in their serial number plus the Boxed S
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
zerstorer335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerstorer335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 5:32am
Right now, these are the only other photos I have that show markings (since I'm still in the middle of getting all the gunk out).  This first one is the left side of the receiver.  

This second one is on the left side of the barrel, above the lower half of the handguard.

I'll post more once the cleanup has made progress, especially if I can find any markings.  
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 1:07am
edit
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 12:14am
Welcome from Phoenix Arizona. 
Could you post pictures of the whole  left side of the reciever, the whole right side, and the top please.  There are certain indicators that might shed some light on your predicament. From just the one picture showing the right side of the buttsocket, your rifle appears to have been scrubbed of all original markings and factory refurbished with a new serial number as well...
zerstorer335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerstorer335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2020 at 10:43pm
I just picked up a No4 MkI*, and I was trying to trace it's background.  But I ran into an issue with the serial numbers.  My understanding is there's supposed to be a letter prefix (an exception, according to enfieldcollector.com being an initial BSA production run that had numbers from 0001 to 9999).   But this S/N not only doesn't seem to have a letter prefix, it's also 5 digits long, not 4.  

So far, the only other clue I have is this, which, if I understand it correctly, means it went to Ishapore for a factory repair.  

Does anybody have an idea about what's going on, here?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic