Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield-Rifles Forum Virtual Match

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 1:30pm
Yes the sling on the No1 is the Turner Biothane 1903 sling. The Leather sling on the L39 is the same type; but shorter, at 47" on the long strap. That's 6" less than the Turner; but apparently standard issue size.
I was happy to get to the 200 metre range after 5 months. 
To be honest; I'm very happy with the way the No1 MkIII* shoots. When I bought it; it was awful; shooting 6" group at 50 metres. I had to do a lot to get it to shoot properly; but there is no funny bedding in it. I just went through everything. I will settle on this load and now need to concentrate on my shooting; to iron out my errors before I can hope for a 100 score!
Not sure if we'll get any competitions this year; they normally start in April. Unless they run them later in the year.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 1:58pm
I’ve got several of the Turner Biothane slings, they are great!  That what I use on my AR, M1 and No. 4 rifles.  We kinda joke about them here, call them the old fan belt... they do grip well.  I don’t set mine up like most do with the leather sling.  I just close the loop on my arm with both keepers, holds just fine.  

The shorter length version is for the AR-15 Service  You need the full length version for the LE.

Zed, you will have no problem getting 100 on the SR target.  Now, getting 100-10x prone with service  sights, or any aperture sights, I’ve yet to see it.  

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 7:00am
Still no place to shoot. 185 miles to the nearest range by appointment only for one hour. Miss your time by five minutes and forget it.

Ill toss this in from two years ago shot off my rucksack.

Cheers
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 7:34am
MJ, sure looks like the NRA SR 200 yard target, the smaller size with score rings out to 7.  
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 8:34am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

MJ, sure looks like the NRA SR 200 yard target, the smaller size with score rings out to 7.  

Cold be anything from two years ago.

I will take it down then

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 12:12pm
No reason to take it down MJ, I was just commenting that it did look like the correct target to use for this match and not a pistol target, although it would have to be shot at 200 yards to be eligible for scoring...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 3:07am
Did not intended to submit the target. As stated it was an older target from several years ago. Don't have an open range less than 100+ miles and won't for some time.

About the target I have case of NRA 25 yard pistol targets I have been using for ages at 100 and 200 yards so there was no intention to deceive the scoring.

I have three new original restored #4T rifles and I will pick one submit at some point if we ever get our life back. Either the '41 or '43 are ready to go
But I'm leaning to the '42 and hope the '45 will be ready and zeroed before summer when our leader will open the state ranges. As of yesterday he again refused to let us dine outside or homes.

I will refrain from posting any training or testing on your contest to avoid confusion.

Good luck with the contest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 4:24am
No worries MJ, once your ready, please do post a target and let us know which rifle you used.  
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 4:21pm
A mediocre  80/100  with my P14   prone 100 yards

I did finally get to the range

Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 9:42am
I got to the 50 metre range this morning with the standard No8Mk1 using SK Match ammo.
It was a beautiful sunny day, but just 4°C this morning.
Shot prone with sling.

I used a first target to adjust the sights; as we normally shoot this rifle in Service rifle using the C50 target; that has a considerably bigger black centre. Using 6 o'clock hold; so added 3 clicks from to get on centre on the practise target. Then 10 shots on second (competition) target without using spotting scope until finished. (as per our normal rules). I'm reasonably happy with this; but think I could do a bit better. I score it 97-2X. (Personally I always count a grazed but unbroken line as the lower number).
It was good to get back shooting again; I've" not shot this No8 for a good long while.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 8:05am
I will finally be able to participate in this! I ordered targets this week, they should be here Friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 1:11pm
Zed, good shooting with the No. 8! I didn’t see your post until now. 

My shooting bud just shot a 100-10x in prone slow fire with his AR with irons in a CMP match today.  That is a remarkable achievement.  His AR has a light weight barrel, for shooting in the CMP “Modern Military” match, must be in an as issued configuration.  That guy is a machine, I’ve never seen anyone who shots like he does.  No scope and no support under the rifle except his forearms.  All ten shots into the 3 inch X ring at 200 yards.

So, it can be done...

I started out OK with my No. 4, 100-4x in prone slow fire even though my glasses were fogging up.  Prone rapid was terrible, shots way high into the 8 and 7 ring and I thought I had a solid score.  I hope that barrel is not going....

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 1:20am
I was quite pleased by the No8 target; but I do need to sort out the sling for a longer one.

I had an issue with my No1MkIII*; where it would alter the point of impact vertically as the barrel warms up. This would often become evident in the rapid fire target; which would be our second target.
Especially if the scorer's have been fast with the target swap and the rifle hasn't cooled fully since the first round. I think I've got it sorted now by attending to the fit of the fore end under the Knox form.
But I really need to do a couple of full "match" type tests to confirm.
It will have to wait though as we are locked down again here. And it's a glorious sunny day today but we can't travel more than 10 km from home! bummer!
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 3:17pm
I just shot another target for the match. I had a box of odds and ends factory ammo that I decided to use up. Nine of the ten rounds fired were Winchester 180 grain Power Points with one Federal Hi-shok of unknown weight.

I scored a lower 88-0x. Not as good as last time but interestingly eight of the ten rounds did land close enough to each other that they could be just about covered by the palm of my hand.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 3:19pm
Again the the target turned sideways when posted. The actual bottom of the target is on the right side of the picture.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 3:28pm
303Hunter, did you shoot this off the bench or prone?  Scope or irons?  Need to know which class to put this into (Service Rifle or Unlimited).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 23>
  Share Topic