Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member's First Post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member's First Post
    Posted: January 11 2021 at 5:34pm
Well, I have never owned an Enfield until now. So what now?

I was helping a friend's friend who needed cash and I ended up with a 1968 Ishapore. I think. Wink

I now know basically what Wikipedia has told Me about it, but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more. I thought here would be a good place to start. Here's some pics:

Are there any other pics that would help evaluate what I should look for as as Ishapore owner?
Thanks!
Jeff
Escaped to the FL Panhandle
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 7:06am
welcome , you have a nice looking rifle in very nice shape , 

these are the indian versions of 762x51 nato , the first was the 2A then came the 2A1 [which you have] the difference being primarily the backsight , the 2A used the 303 sight while the 2A1 calibrated to the 762 trajectory , there are a few tiny other changes that are not real noticeable , 

the bayonets actually had more iterations than the rifles , 
Sinnlover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sinnlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 7:11am
Welcome from another new member, I have been looking through the site over the last few days and have found a wealth of information, the Ishapore section is very interesting and i am sure you will find what you need there 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 8:28am
If you dismantle it you MUST remove the front wood FIRST!
There's a square "locking head" on the rear stock bolt that will damage the front wood if you don't.
If you need it I have the whole dismantling in detail manual as a .PDF, but its too big for the forum to host. PM me an e-mail addy if you're interested.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Jeffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 9:03am
Ah!  Good to know!  Beer
Jeff
Escaped to the FL Panhandle
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 1:11pm
Welcome to the forum.  Definitely, many Enfield addicts here.  You came to the right place. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 3:17pm
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada! Have no idea what you have... looks cool and lots of good people here that will know something about it! There's been a lot of 7.62 in regards to Enfields of late... (fair warning!)Smile
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 3:23pm
Your manual is on its way.
Essentially the 7.62 Indian rifle is identical to the SMLE (with very minor differences) so the manual applies almost equally to the Indian rifles as well. I'd say 99% is applicable.
Do check your magazine max capacity, they vary a little! Nudge, nudge: wink, wink.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 6:14pm
I have a 2A1 magazine that holds twelve rounds...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I have a 2A1 magazine that holds twelve rounds...

and???
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 6:56am
Some hold 10, others 11 he just got lucky!
If you're in a state like MD its a problem though as they have a 10 round capacity limit.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 7:26am
I was talking to a game warden here and asked him about magazine capacity in a manually operated bolt gun. There is no formal ruling within the state as to actual capacity limits for a manually operating bolt rifle.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 7:28am
I believe in Canada Lee Enfields were the only high powered rifle "grandfathered" to still be able to use a 10 round magazine. 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 9:17am
A number of years ago I asked for clarity on magazine laws. The Center for Firearms lawyer wrote back to me & stated that the Lee Enfield bolt action rifle 10 round magazine & the M-1 Garand semi-automatic rifle 8 round magazine are both exempt from the magazine laws in Canada.
I believe I still have that correspondance in my locker (somewhere)
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic