Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aussie sporter stock Mfr. info needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie sporter stock Mfr. info needed
    Posted: June 22 2007 at 6:22pm
I was watching the Crocodile Dundee movie last night & noticed that he was using a sporterized Enfield. I was particularly interested in the thumbhole stock that was on this rifle.
I may have a lead on another Enfield (#4 Mk2) all non-matching, beat up wood, but good bore & metal. Based on this I don't think it has any collectable value, so I was thinking that this might be a suitable candidate for sporterizing.
Do any of you Aussie gents know the manufacturer of this wood?

I'm not thinking of doing anything drastic to the metal, so all the work I'd be doing would be reversable, just by switching parts back, if I ever decided to restore the rifle to it's original condition.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2007 at 7:52pm
I think you will have to talk to a custom stock maker mate.

Fitting a scope will be simple enough, just use the no drill no tap mount.
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 7:42am
Pity. I was hoping that, like the US there were "aftermarket" manufacturers, having them as a stock item.

I know it's a sacrelidge to "Bubba-ize" them, but I was thinking a reversable bolt-on job would be a good way to go as I have had other bolt actions that I've put thumbholes on & I like the way they work for me.
I don't have any plans for a scope, but if I do is there a mount you'd recomend out of the available choices? I know there are some that have a bad rep for failing to install well, and coming loose during use.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 7:51am
An off the shelf thumbhole stock for a #4 might turn up somewhere for you mate, there is a whole lot more of shooting supplies available in the states. I have seen a picture of a blokes No1MK111* sporter that did have a thumbhole stock so the things must be out there.

I personally have left my rifle in completely original configuration,  but there have been a few topics on here before about scope mounts.
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:14am
For scope mounts, B Square & ATI make them. Had a B Square already on a sported one I bought awhile back. It stands a little higher than the ATI. Have'nt had any problems with it yet. It attaches at both the rear sight pin and ejector screw. I have no experience with the ATI. Its your rifle and you can modify it in any way you want.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 10:07pm
Thanks for the info, guys.
I haven't seen any thumbholes here in the US, and as the movie was Aussie made, & filmed in Oz, I was hoping that it might be a "local" vendor over there.
I know what you mean about the US having more "stuff" as I grew up in the UK. My first gunshow over here was a revalation.
I had to "surrender" my old #4 because the export/import regs made it horribly impractical to bring it over here.
I went to a show in Allentown PA, looking to replace it, once the immigration paperwork was completed (about a 9 month wait AFTER getting "temporary Status" to stay here.)

I got lucky & found a #4 Mk1 (T)*. Here I am leaving the show to go to the local range & check it out. I have the rifle over my shoulder, hanging on the sling I bought at the show, & a plastic supermarket bag with ammo, & a cleaning rod and it's accessories.
Back then there was no tie wrap rule, just bolt open & mag out.
The cop doing security at the door asks to look at the rifle. Being used to the British rules I freak.
I explain why I'm looking nervous.
He says. "Welcome to the land of the Free, son."
Then tells me where the local state game lands range is.

I've gotten used to it now, but I never forgot how regulated anything shooting related was in the UK.

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 11:24pm
Shamu ,I had an Aussie Buddie that I used to work with , when I was with G.E./Q.C.I.  He told me how different just a local conveiniance store was . He told me that we have more retail choices of any one item than they have in OZ. at they local stores . Said it gets better when you get into a big city like sidny or something .but the little out lying stores just had the bare neccessities. and usualy only one brand of each product .
You really dont know what you have till its ripped from you . Like that old saying the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. only in his case and yours the gun right grass was greener.
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 12:16pm
If the Stock was'nt a home made job .I would say it would of been the Brain Child of a Stock maker over here by the name of Geff Slee ! He does a lot of unusal stock work ,as well as carrying a range of 90% finnished stocks for rifles including Martinis & Enfields .

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 3:04pm
All hail the great Geoff Slee!

I have buckets of cash and I so should get him to knock me up a reproduction of a Lithgow stock, my one is cracking up Cry

Thankfully I have buckets of cash at the moment though.
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 5:13pm
The last time I heard. He had standard 90% wood work in stock ,at a supprizingly low price cared out of American Wallnut ! I brought a left handed Cadet Butt of of him about 12 mths ago & it cost me abot $80.00 ! I had to clean it up a little & finnish the stock with the coating but it's a joy to behold !

Dave
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 9:24pm
Do you have any contact info for Mr Slee, I'd be interested to get in touch with him?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 9:07am
Geoff Slees contacts are  4/9 Park Street  Bacchus Park  Victoria 3340

Phone  03 5367 7282

I stand corrected. It's NZ walnut that he uses for the Semi Finnished Stocks & it well to note that if ringing he works a very strick 9am to 5pm day 5 days per week (mon to Fri )

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 9:08am
Wait one his info is in the back of the Australian Shooter magazine.

Geoff Slee gunstocks
4/9 Park st
Bachus Marsh, Victoria, Australia 3340
Phone: 03 5367 7282

He does not have a web site but I saw a good lot of photos from his factory on a forum. http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1104&highlight=geoff+slee

You will have to sign up to check it out, but it gives you a good idea of what he can do.
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 11:18am
Ah! Thanks. I'll whip him off a letter.
I KNOW all of Aus isn't like the movie, but I really like the look of that stock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 3:36pm
No worries brother
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 7:17pm
Did you ever got onto Geoff about that stock?
But the winters coming,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic