Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member with a '66 Ishy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLC_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member with a '66 Ishy
    Posted: January 24 2021 at 2:58pm
Hi, everyone.
I am honored to be part of such an elite group.
I am in the beginnings of restoring a 1966 Ishapore 7.62 in the No 1 MK III genre.
I am seeking a service manual.
I know the knowledge here is extensive, but I am wanting to attack this as my project, first, but need some detailed info.
Thank you.
Automation engineer for 45 years; almost retired; college instructor; lovable, old fuzz ball.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 6:54am
Welcome. I have never seen a manual on the Ishapore 2A's or 2A1's but it would be nice to find one floating around out there. When it comes to disassembly and assembly the No 1 Mk III information helps out on these. Whatever detailed info you have questions about just ask away.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 7:03am
Howdy from Phoenix Arizona. 
If and when you decide you are going to disassemble the wood/furniture, whether or not it is cutdown or complete,  remove the forestock BEFORE you remove the buttstock. The buttstock bolt protrudes through the buttsocket wrist and can touch the forestock.  If you attempt to unscrew the buttstock bolt first, you could damage the forestock.
Sharing photos of your 2A/2A1 can always assist us in assisting you with any questions you might have...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 9:01am
welcome , photos would be nice - we can give you much more then , 

sounds like you have need of the skennerton small arms identification (SAIS) #1 - it relates to the SMLE mkIII&III* series this would get you basic info , its an 8x11 soft cover that used to be about $10 ,
https://www.abebooks.com/collections/sc/ian-skennerton/2hoO6OQJG4j2lmEhMFYb9N

he also wrote the enfield story [the bible for us] but these are quite expensive these days , worth it in the end if you plan to get more into these , 
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Enfield-story-Ian-D-Skennerton/dp/185367138X

there is a cheaper version if you can find it , 
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Lee-Enfield-Ian-Skennerton-Signed/dp/B006559906

stratton published a quick reference series , mine are all gone now , the volume number 1 will cover the SMLEs 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 1:16pm
I have a .PDF of completely dismantling a British SMLE No1 MkIII* if thats any help.
They are very similar, but not identical, because of the caliber change, but it should be a big help.
Its too large to post here at 2382Kb & 53 pages, but I can e-mail it to you if your e-mail a/c will accept PDF's of that size.
PM me if interested.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
PLC_Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLC_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 4:00pm
Thank you, so much, everyone. I really appreciate it.  I am definitely finding machining and tolerance differences between the SMLE No 1 MK III and the Ishapore 7.62.
It's a great challenge.
Automation engineer for 45 years; almost retired; college instructor; lovable, old fuzz ball.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 7:30am
Sent a few files that might be of interest.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic