Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RLO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 4:29pm
nice!  A square you should have kept that stuff.  Geek
double gun
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 5:53pm
yes - but we cant keep everything , i was trying to catch a photo of the M1A in its military stock - but no luck , it is what you just begin to see above the garand and above that was my M16 [with civi lower] , i still have the M1A and M16 tho , 
FlyPiper907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 2:32pm
If you’re set on using RLO/BLO, how would you go about starting treatments? 
2. When do you know the treatments should slow? 
3. How often should you treat the wood? 

I understand RLO has a longer drying time which I’m not opposed to but it sounds like, if I start with RLO, I’ll eventually end up at the BLO marker as I may not require that level of hydration as often. I live in Alaska and I’d like to do right by treating the wood the best I can in these extreme environments. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 8:14am
Clean the wood thoroughly with a wood cleaner like "Murphy's Oil Soap". DO NOT use caustic oven cleaners, they damage the wood fibers.

Then theres the old routine:
Make some 3~4" squares of an old, lint-free T-Shirt.
Put a couple of cotton balls in & pinch the fabric to make a "dauber".
Wet the dauber with Linseed oil.
Buff the oil into the wood following the grain. Keep going till its even, re-wetting the dauber as needed.
Then using your hands rub firmly till you feel heat building.
leave stand overnight, wipe off any excess.
Repeat in this regimen.

Once a day for a week.

Once a week for a month.

Once a month for a year.

Once a year for life.

At some point you'll notice a "blotchyness" to the finish you're slowly building.

DO NOT STOP! Its not a problem, its actually a good thing. Its the differing parts of the grain "loading up" with the oil.

What its doing is loading the wood with oil, at first its thirsty & bone dry so you do ONE coat daily (don't rush it)

Then as the wood begins to fill you start slowing down so the Linseed can diffuse better through the wood.

Eventually you get to "maintenance" coats which is the once a year.

If at any point it gets "too shiny", just scrub it with a bit of burlap sacking to knock the surface back without effecting the wood.
End result:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 9:03am
Perfect, I’ll get right on it! Following each oiling, how would you store the firearm? Nice No4 🤙
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 3:22pm
I just prop it in a corner.
The trick is many LIGHT coats. If you have so much it runs you're using way  too much.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Potato749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potato749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 4:27pm
Do you clean inside and out with the Murphy's soap? Do you disassemble and coat inside and out when you do your repeat work or just the outside surfaces?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2021 at 4:29pm
It varies.
If the stock looks like its had a hard life I do inside & out both for the cleaning & for the linseed.
If its so so I stop doing the inside after the 1st week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 7:23am
Also, what is proper rag disposal following a linseed treatment?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 8:20am
I flush them. They can't burn in water!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 10:58am
I put mine in empty plastic sour cream, or cottage cheese, yogurt (you get the picture!) containers, fill with water, put the lid on and put in the regular garbage (the bin NOT in the house!)
devrep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 10:58am
my opinion:

Once a day for a week.

Once a week for a month.

Once a month for a year.

Once a year for life.

is for newly issued service rifles that haven't spent the last 50 to 100 years being soaked in oil.

my opinion:

Once a day for a week.

Once a week for a month.

Once a month for a year.

Once a year for life.

is for service rifles that have  to survive in environments where they cannot be protected and may be exposed to days on end of rain and high humidity.

again my opinion:

rifles owned by (most) civilians will likely never come close to this abuse.  wood can become over saturated with oil.

double gun
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I just prop it in a corner.
The trick is many LIGHT coats. If you have so much it runs you're using way  too much.

a good friend that has fixed a few Garand stocks for me  uses a similar method to yours, 

only instead of using a dauber, he uses his hands, 

touch the tips of a couple fingers in the Linseed, and then rub it in by hand, 
add more if needed , 

the heat from your hand warms up the oil and helps it flow, 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 2:09pm
yeah I found i got a more even application with the dauber.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 2:13pm
I only go there when the wood has been really dry for some reason.
My "La Brea Tar Pits Commemorative" was drained, not oiled for example.Confused
The rifle I posted above was a mummy wrap & so was buried in cosmo, but had never been oiled! That picture is taken 5 years after i did the process described.
The trick is to lightly oil  & then wipe down the next day. if someone glops a lot of oil on & lets it soak then it becomes a mess.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 4:05pm
as shamu said thin coats rubbed vigorously till warm , you will end up with a great finish after the regiment is followed , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic