Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No 4 MK 1 rear sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffTL-E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No 4 MK 1 rear sights
    Posted: February 16 2021 at 3:24pm

he!!o All,

Does anyone have any experience with a 'British No.4 rear sight Mk 1' as sold from Century Arms?
Described as Original, NOS British MIL stock, fresh from original MIL packaging. Milled steel, 200-1300 yards, graduated in 50 yard increments. The photos of the sights on the link look pretty good.

Price is right at $60.00/each.
Thoughts? Any input is welcome.

Link below:
Jeff T.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 7:25pm
The sights are actually reproductions of an original but work none the less in a No4Mk1/2 rifle. 
The second one in from the right is an original. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 7:26am
Not sure what exactly you're doing but they should work fine.
I'm also not sure why Goosic thinks they're repros as Century claims they're "sealed in original government packaging"?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Not sure what exactly you're doing but they should work fine.
I'm also not sure why Goosic thinks they're repros as Century claims they're "sealed in original government packaging"?
Numrich was selling that same sight and the No5Mk1 variant with all the  same identical markings but listed as reproductions.  Brand new reproduction barrel bands, both upper and lower as well...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 7:33am
Hmm. I don't know. Maybe one is & the other isn't, but a good repro?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 8:19am
If these are NOS, I think it’s worth getting one if you only have the Mk 2 300/600 yard flip sight. I see some broad arrow stamps...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 9:07am
Century did buy some of the old Springfield Sporters parts stock. They got primarily the firearms and some parts with Apex Gun Parts buying the bulk of the parts warehouses. A Century rep did say they did buy a small portion of parts so it is possible that these actually could be NOS as they have never said what all they bought.
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 9:10am
Can confirm they got some good stuff from Springfield.... I've acquired a 1912 MkIII action, a MkI* and a MkI** actions, and a MkV action from them.
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 1:38pm
I recently bought 1 $45 RFI sight and received a very nice S marked version.  Nice tight cursor, threaded thimble,  cursor barrel etc. Was almost like new.
I went and purchased another and was exactly as described but in great shape nonetheless.
I would suppose that the examples identified would be exactly as described.

JeffTL-E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffTL-E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 5:21pm
Thank you All for your input.

My Sporterised Lee-Enfield No.4 MK 1 has only the 300-600 yard flip sights. 
My Dad did fit additional 'reduced aperture' brass/bronze pieces to the original flip sights, and I have yet to see how well they sight and shoot. 
I thought maybe having 'original' micrometer No. 4 MK 1 sights also may be a worthwhile option.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Jeff T.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 9:12pm
This is one of those things that only you can make a decision on. Your dad tuned that rifle to his specifications. 
The Mk1 Singer micrometer sight was just one of four sights that were available for the No4 Enfield and there was no specific rear sight to a specific rifle, except for the No4Mk1 T. The rifle left the assembly plant with whatever sight was fitted to it, be it the one currently on your rifle or the ladder type, or the Mk1 micrometer sight.  Savage made No4Mk1* rifles more often than not did leave the factory with the L type flip sight however. Each sighting system has its drawbacks and its merits.
Again, this is only a decision that you can make.
My father has an original Parker Hale Supreme No4 that he has tuned to his shooting standards. I've held it, I've shot it and there is not one thing on it I would change if I ever end up with it.
JeffTL-E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffTL-E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2021 at 10:05pm
All,
I actually purchased one of these No. 4 Mk 1 sights. It is worth the money.

The sight is as described on the website. It is an NOS, machined steel, British Singer sight of high quality for the No. 4 Mk 1 rifle. The sight I received is of BSA manufacture as noted on the 'B' imprints/stampings on the component parts.
The original bulk packaging preservative of the sight(s) was a petroleum based (cosmoline?) type material, which had hardened and locked up any movement in the micrometer adjustment. Penetrating oil did not free it up, but soaking in acetone for a few hours did the trick. 
Should anyone choose to purchase one of these sights be sure to soak it in a solvent to free up the movement prior to use.

Jeff T.
Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 7:07am
Is there a micrometer sight which can be adapted to an Ishapore 2A without irreversible changes?
There are no Americans in Baghdad!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 7:26am
I should have specified a receiver mounted aperture sight for an Ishapore.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 7:28am
Yes several.
But possibly not what you're thinking of.
There are many target type aperture rear sights that basically bolt on using existing holes.
The snag is they're all expensive! $225~350 depending on model & features.
A couple of the more easily available ones.
Parker Hale PH5A

BSA /Parker Hale/A.G. Parker?A.J. Parker No9W

which folds up when not needed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2021 at 1:21pm
The sights you mention are very interesting but the cost is definitely a”snag”
I’ll be scouring the interweb for a deal. Maybe a refurb project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic