Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Lee Enfield storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Lee Enfield storage
    Posted: February 22 2021 at 11:04pm
Howdy all!

I’m still fairly new to this forum and Lee Enfields. What is the proper way to store these firearms? Currently, I’ve got mine in my safe with the stock down. Will this have an effect on the draws at all?
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:44am
No, I don’t think so, unless you had the bore saturated in oil and it seeped into the wood.  That’s how my LE’s have been stored for at least the last 60 years.  I always clean the bore, chamber and bolt face after shooting and a very light coat of oil in the bore. I also loosen the main screw a turn to keep the pressure off the wood. 

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 4:54am
I have a large (for UK) collection of rifles and pistols. They are in a secure room with a dehumidifier inside it and I have had no problems whatsoever.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 5:07am
If humidity is below 50%, I see no need to keep the metal oiled.  

Do NOT store the rifle without a thorough cleaning if you have fired corrosively primed ammunition.  Don’t even wait until the next day after shooting.  
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 5:13am
You may want to place those silicon bags within your locker with yer rifles.(Like the ones you see packed in boxes of electronics).
These bags will keep them drier than a popcorn fart.

Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 7:28am
& don't forget to de-cock the striker.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Sinnlover View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinnlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 7:43am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

You may want to place those silicon bags within your locker with yer rifles.(Like the ones you see packed in boxes of electronics).

I use these and I de-cock it (I hold the cocking piece when I do, I do not dry fire)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 8:42am
There's an easier way.
With the bolt open pull & hold the trigger.
close the bolt!
Wink
Dry firing won't harm an Enfield, theres a "stop collar" on the striker which takes the dry firing stresses.
Hug
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 9:31am
I store all my rifles muzzle down, de-cocked and cleaned and lightly oiled.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
FlyPiper907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyPiper907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 9:47am
Thanks guys, appreciate the help! 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

There's an easier way.
With the bolt open pull & hold the trigger.
close the bolt!
Wink
Dry firing won't harm an Enfield, theres a "stop collar" on the striker which takes the dry firing stresses.
Hug

what he said - no issue dry firing 
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 1:00am
No5 Carbines should be stored muzzle down so that oils do not collect on the rubber buttpad. Other than that butt down is fine.
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Ok...Drier than a popcorn fart....where do I start??? Clap
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 11:28am
Only my No8's are muzzle down in the safe, due to the rubber butt pad that can be damaged if kept butt down.
All the others are butt down. Cleaned after shooting and very lightly oiled. Ensure that oil will not creep into the wood!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
lyman1903 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyman1903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Canuck Canuck wrote:

I store all my rifles muzzle down, de-cocked and cleaned and lightly oiled.

I alternate mine in the safe, and leave the bolts open on the butt down rifles, 

I learned I can fit more in the safe that way
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 7:32pm
in photos showing lee enfield rifles in the factory or armory being serviced, they show the rifles in racks stored muzzle down. always understood that this was to prevent oil saturating the butt wrists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic