Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No4 identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No4 identification
    Posted: March 06 2021 at 11:59am
I’m having problems tracking down information on my No4mk1?. On the left side of the wrist I have two serial numbers a faint B20267. With a possible restamped serial number JB20267. The Barrel on the left side has been electro penciled JB20267. The left side of the receiver has what looks like No4MK??(F) 11/43 in electro pencil. A few proof markings on the right side of the chamber on the barrel and a few other numbers on the barrel and bottom of the receiver. The stock has a A over a 38. I know a B prefix for a serial number is a BSA manufacture and sometimes a C designation would mean a trials rifle, but what is the J prefix?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 6:36pm
if im seeing correctly , sometimes questionable these days , it is a FAZ 11/43 rifle of the mkI type but i cant make out anything else in that photo 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 7:40pm
Bwings. Welcome from Phoenix Arizona. 
The JB20267 is the whole of the serial number and is indicative of a Fazackerly made Enfield. Nothing more, nothing less. The barrel and reciever have matching numbers but, do the serial numbers on the bolt handle match as well?
Just a FYI about your B prefix statement. There were five manufacturers of the No4Mk1 rifle. Three of which used a B prefix at one point in time during the manufacturing process ahead of the actual numbers.  Examples-
B12345 = Maltby 
B23456 = Fazackerly 
B34567 = BSA 
Savage and Long Branch had their own unique serial number sequence. Examples-
73C2642 = Savage 
1L5880= Long Branch 
Bwings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 8:22am
Thank you!The B prefix was one of the parts I got bogged down in when researching the serial number. My no4 experience is also limited to mk1*’s and I had never seen an enfield electro penciled for the serial number and model. The bolt is unfortunately in matching as its serial number is So C54498. The magazine is also unmatching 76L3786. Maybe you can answer two more questions I had. The bolt, the front barrel band, and the sling swivel band are pretty much “in the white” as the steel goes. Was the no4 bolt originally blued or Suncorite? And what paint matches the original finish?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic