No1 MkIII bits and pieces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No1 MkIII bits and pieces
    Posted: March 08 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

So my early Lithgow should not have a brass one? I was giving it some TLC yesterday and noticed that mine had a shiny brass one. 

on the contrary , i think brass was quite common on lithgows 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

OK, its just the camera angle then.
Took it outside for more better lighting too 👍😉
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 3:22pm
OK, its just the camera angle then.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 2:08pm

I'm not so sureConfusedTake a close look at the pic it seems to have no "front end" Maybe the sling & swivel is just hiding it?

That’s the same bracket in the photo without the sling attached.👍🍻
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 2:01pm
I'm not so sureConfusedTake a close look at the pic it seems to have no "front end" Maybe the sling & swivel is just hiding it?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 1:57pm

Is the single screw fitting a Lithy thing or just with the brass hardware?
It’s the double screw bracket connection type ole mate.They did blacken them when first used but not sure with what or how exactly the process was done,trying to find out more precise info about that,but over a period of time it the (black coating wore,wears) off.Have a number of brass blackened parts in various degree of the shiny brass showing through.
Cheer’s.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 1:42pm
Is the single screw fitting a Lithy thing or just with the brass hardware?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the info! 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 10:22am

So my early Lithgow should not have a brass one? I was giving it some TLC yesterday and noticed that mine had a shiny brass one. 
For some reason at a later date you’re Lithgow might of had some FTR,FR etc etc work done on it,butt marking & rebarrel date would an indication of that & how any brass piece’s come to be installed on it.Believe it will have the OA stamp on the butt swivel bracket.OA stamped at approx 11 o’clock from the screw head.
Have basically a matching 15 Lithgow with a 10-42 rebarrel with the brass butt swivel bracket,have no intentions or reasons to change it out meself.

Cheer’s 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 4:41am
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 6:27pm
i think steel was common in the brit mfgr - ive never seen brass 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 9:21am

I'm not sure of the proper name of the part, but I'll call it the rear sling mount (the part that screws into the stock furniture). Were they all brass or were some made out of steel? Thanks!
Brass pressure die casting substituted for forging in Lithgow as a economy (war time) measure started in April 1942,the next reverted change back to steel occurred in 1945.
Hope that helps your question.
Cheer’s.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2021 at 8:43am
I'm not sure of the proper name of the part, but I'll call it the rear sling mount (the part that screws into the stock furniture). Were they all brass or were some made out of steel? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic