SMLE or No.1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMLE or No.1?
    Posted: March 11 2021 at 4:47pm
it is marked to the 5th military district [western austrailia] for home guard use , common in WWII , my BSA mkIII is marked to 3rd in the same way , it apparently was in great condition after WWI so escaped the changes , they would include pinning the adjustable rear sight or replacing it with a fixed one and removing the cutoff , 

our aussie members can add more , 

it looks a righteus rifle with target sights and sling attachment added to the trigger guard - nice thing , 

it is an SMLE but also a no1 as that nomenclature was added between the wars , no worries , 
captaincaveman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaincaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 3:47pm
would it not have some sold out of service mark somewhere, or at least the remnants of one?
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 2:22pm
wow pretty rare rifle, a target based h barrel Lithgow with h on the buttstock was moreEthan likely a target rifle pressed back into service for ww2 and used by better skill at arms qualified diggers .
captaincaveman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaincaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 11:52am
Hi all,

I have a Lithgow SMLE Mk. III 1916 with a heavy Barrel. Now as far as I can tell the heavy Barrel's were manufactured from 1932 onwards. Am I correct in thinking that? 

The rifle has lots of early Lithgow markings ( I will post pics) as well as a few MA later post 1926 markings which the butt shows as possibly being done in 1945 if not before.

Barrel does not have a date on it, but a curious AR marking? Has the SMLE Mk.III standard parts like windage sights, cut off, button cocking piece etc. Has Mues competition sights which I assume were for army marksmanship as there appear to be no sold out of service markings I can see.

As a non shooting UK deac it does not have matching numbers, quite common over here.

But I'm arguing with myself over a few things!

Would this be classed as an SMLE still or a No.1 because of the changes, or are they just seen as essential repairs along the way? I can see both sides and am wondering if there's an official view (not found a definition online as yet) ? I f only they came with a service history as to what and why stuff was done !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic