Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forestock question/fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forestock question/fitting
    Posted: April 10 2021 at 5:52pm
I'm trying to understand ,why this forestock- it's a mk 2 or other type, has an additional piece of wood that doesn't allow a no 4 body to drop in close to the in-letting?
If anyone has any information that they could pass along that would be great.

The additional wood is located at the front right of the body.
Could it be for a 22 or other action/body type? Maybe I should just leave it alone and find something else to work with.
It came right out of the beige/green wrap.
Thanks for looking, or any replies.
Thanks for any replies.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 9:42pm
".... this forestock- it's a mk 2 or other type, has an additional piece of wood that doesn't allow a no 4 body to drop in ..." 

OK , im confused  , im thinking your confused or at least misled - its a mkI or a mk2 type , the mkI & mkI* were fitted with the trigger hung from the trigger guard , the mk2 were fitted for the trigger hung from the action , it is one or the other , it depends on what action you are trying to 'drop in' as to which one you need , they are not necessarily interchangeable 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 10:24pm
Mark the area like you have done and remove the wood a little at a time until the stock drops into place. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy...
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 10:26pm
You have a No4 Mk2 forend and a No4 MkI or MkI* action. One of the changes with the Mk2 was to remove the vestigial cutoff stub which is what is running into the forend.
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 12:12am
Thanks for the replies,
If the extra wood at the reinforce is of no significance, I can make that right off and carry on then.
When I seen the extra bit that was left by the shaper, it gave me pause to rethink using the timber.

It stands to reason to me now, that the mk 2 bodies were sans the lump that was initially intended to support the cut off hinge on early no 4's. This bit of wood doesn't have the lowered right wall on the stock either.
Thanks again!

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 5:19am
Forends for the Mk 2 rifle are hard to find.  

Is your action a Mk 1/3?  If it’s not, (i.e. a Mk I*) I urge you not to modify this forend, find yourself a forend for the Mk I rifle.  

The protrusion on the right forward side of the action body is a remanent of the pin lug to support the magazine cutoff, never used on the No. 4.  I think that lug was removed late in the Mk 2 rifle production.  I have one Mk 2 with and one without that lug. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic