Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

p 1888 baynoet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beartrapper999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p 1888 baynoet
    Posted: April 13 2021 at 4:07am
hi  i am a newbe  but joined a month ago  ihave 2 bayonets that i would learn more about i will  try send pics  not sure i i can
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 8:00pm
welcome , you have come to the best enfielkd sight since ians went away , glad you have joined us here , 

the P1888 went thru a couple changes in its tenure with the commonwealth , the trials version was had black leather scales like its predecessors and two rivets , these leather scales also show up on later versions but not often , 

the mkI type 1 version had wooden scales and three rivets , one fore two aft and a clearance hole for the clearing rod that was still fitted to the rifle , 
the mkI type 2 had had leater or wooden scales but only two rivets , 

the mkII had no clearance hole for the clearing rod , as the rod had been dispensed with , it has two rivets , and wooden scales , they added a clearing hole in the hilt , 

the mkIII was like the previous but browned the cross guard and added oil blackened screws with nuts  for the scales instead of the rivets to allow them to be removed , these are similar to the P1903 that retained the same blade but took on the grip style of the P1907 

similatrly the scabbards went thru some changes as well - the tough one to find is the late P88 early P03 that had leather nearly to the tip leaving only a "button" of metal showing in lieu of full chape , there were some other details but we shall save those for a scabbard discussion shoud one come up , 

you have an early mkI scabbard i think 

some of what i gave you may be over simplified - i was trying not to confuse 

beartrapper999 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beartrapper999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 4:11am
thanks very much  for the reply this is my frist try at posting     the bayonet is dated 5  96 it has a 5/16  hole about 1/12 deep  ihave better pics  with all  the markings  but i could only one and that was the wrong one   thanks again      b t
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 9:40am

Beartrapper, Welcome from South Africa!  Herewith Pat 1888 and 1903 bayonets as mentioned above, top to bottom:

Pat.1888  Mks I, I (2), II, III & South African WW II Pat 1888.
Pat. 1903.

The South African bayonet is a bit of a hybrid!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beartrapper999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:54am
hi  terrylee   thanks for posting  the pics   they are  in very nice condition  some them ihave never seen before  and they would be hard to replace  up here  in  n b  can    iam not bayonet collector  but have picked up the more common ones at times        until the next  b t
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 6:37pm
the only question remaining is there a clearance hole for the clearing rod in the hind end of your bayonet ? that will determine its original state - we seldom see that photo - i would implore terry lee to post his as he has the best collection of all of us , 

i never had an early one with that hole , so i could never attempt thsat photo , if i had been fortunate enough to get the rifle in my collecting years i might have , he has both the rifle and the bayonet , it would be nice to see them together , just once again , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:29am

A square, Is this what you are looking for? For clearing rod on a Mk I(2).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beartrapper999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:09pm
hi again  the bayonet that ihave  has the same hole  but the grooves in the release button are not in thes\ame  location mabey  they were made by different company  mine has no s on the teardrop and the edge 0f crossguard    do have a long lee dated 1896 in nice conition and would like the proper one for it i will try post some pics when iget more practise    thanks you guys for your help     b t
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 6:19pm
there you go , that is exactly the photo i was looking for - its tough to put this into words that someone that has never seen one before can mentally grasp , that photo is perfect , thank you , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 8:51am
Beartrapper,  Being dated 1896, your Long Lee is probably an early Magazine Lee Enfield Mk I. Should it still have its original fore-end and nosecap, there will be provision for a clearing rod and your bayonet will fit it with rod installed. Of course, your bayonet will still fit if without a rod and also if your nosecap is of the later Mk I* pattern. From 1899, when the rods were withdrawn, the Mk I(2) bayonets remained in use.      
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beartrapper999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 2:01pm
hi terrylee you are right it has a hole  for  the rod  the s/n is867x and made in the enfield plant i think it was canadian isue  i will post a pic soon  and the boys in here will let me know what i got     thanks againb t
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic