Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Charger bridge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Charger bridge
    Posted: May 04 2021 at 6:48pm
i recently acquired an SMLE with everything in order except the charger bridge was ground off. How would I go about removing the charger bridge from a donor reciever to install on my rifle?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 9:10pm
Welcome to the forum.
The charging bridge is pinned in place on the No1Mk111/* rifles.  Try to locate where the pins are on the donor reciever and in stages, drill out the pins.  Do the same with your reciever as well. The issue you will find however, is that not all charging bridges where pinned exactly in the same spot as the next one. A gunsmith knowledgeable with Enfield rifles could do the refurbishment with minimal effort. Another option would be to have the barrel removed from your rifle and installed on the donor reciever.  If the donor reciever does not have the original bolt though,  you would need to have your bolt assembly hand fitted to the donor reciever. Here again, a gunsmith knowledgeable with the Enfield rifle could do that with minimal effort as well...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 9:14pm
this is always an issue with hand fitted rifles - why the US demanded interchangeability in their contracts , it could be frustrating but it can be done as goosic says , may need a gunsmith with proper equipment to get it done , but ....it sounds a worthy cause 
Rustyspike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 10:28pm
Thank you for the welcome! I was hoping it was something I could do but looks like I'll have someone with more tools do it. I guess if they don't line up I can have the holes welded in and refitted. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 9:12am
That may be a tad problematic too, welding on a receiver is a bit of a no-no.
To do it properly you have to fill all the holes Then start over.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 12:03pm
yeah I was gonna fill the holes on the charger bridge then align them with the holes on the reciever so the reciever isn't affected.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 2:29pm
OK, good plan.Thumbs Up
How you going to line them up? I'm curious.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyspike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 7:41pm
Have a much more qualified gunsmith do it lolBig smile
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 8:16pm
good plan , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2021 at 8:21am
Thumbs UpApprove
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic