Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1898 LEC magazine cutoffs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 12:03pm
Got a question. My No1 Mk3* sporter/donor unfortunately does not have a cutoff. Didn’t realize that the * meant no cutoff. My build needs one. Is there any way to install one? If not a real one then a dummy one would suffice. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
Olddust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olddust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 12:09pm
Hi the Cut off for your rifle is generally available in the surplus market. Google it and you should find a couple suppliers. Are you in North America or Eu?
baltimoreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 12:25pm
In the states. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 1:27pm
Sure it is held in by one screw. Be aware though there are several "patterns" of cutoff & not all are interchangeable.
You may also (depending on your stock) need to remove a little wood too if you can't see the slot in the receiver.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 1:52pm
Howdy Baltimoreed;
Along with what was stated in the previous posts the (SMLE Type 2 thru 4 in the photo of the original Post) is what you’ll be needing.
Liberty Tree Collector’s usually has some & the screw in stock.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by baltimoreed baltimoreed wrote:

Got a question. My No1 Mk3* sporter/donor unfortunately does not have a cutoff. Didn’t realize that the * meant no cutoff. My build needs one. Is there any way to install one? If not a real one then a dummy one would suffice. 

Is the cutoff slot present? The difference in the MkIII and MkIII* is not the presence or absence of the cutoff plate, but the presence or absence of the cutoff slot itself. Some MkIII* rifles were converted to MkIII pattern by milling the slot and barring out the *. If the slot is not present then it will be cheaper to get an action with a slot, especially as the tapped hole for the pivot screw will need either an Enfield-form tap or a custom screw. I don't think there is a good way to fit even a dummy without the slot present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 9:24am
Have not received the rifle yet but looking at the stock in the photos I don’t see a cut out for a slot, I then did more research and found out about the asterisk which mine has. I’ll know for sure when it arrives. But it sounds like more trouble than it would be worth. Guess I’ll have to find another decent donor with a slot and use my MkIII* for another build. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 10:46am
Its quite possible to have a "high wall" stock fitted to a MkIII with the cutout in the sidewall & vice versa!
For example even the Savage No4 Mk1* rifles had low wall stocks even though none were ever made with the cutoff slot!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 10:56am
Then there’s that possibility. I was kinda wondering about a stock mismatch. Won’t know for sure until I get it in my big sweaty hands next week. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 7:18pm
is your mkIII* receiver body cut for the cutoff ? is it drillrd and tapped for the screw to install it ? 

i know in transition some had the cut without the hole some got used early on with both , most later mkIII* had neither , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 7:28pm
Sn is 79719, don’t know where that puts it in production. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 7:34pm
Depends on letter prefix and manufacturer.

If this one dosen't work out, I believe I messaged you on Gunboards about the import I'm working on. Let me know if you want one of those actions. All but 4 of the nearly 70 have cutoff slots.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic