Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lothar Walther barrels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 6:31pm
That’s amazing, barrel arrived three days after I first heard about these barrels being available.  Thanks to AbitNutz. 
AbitNutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbitNutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2021 at 6:45pm
Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. UPS must be speedy in your area. I'm in Ohio. Thinks sometimes run slower here. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 6:27am
They are in Cumming, GA, not far from where I live.  

I’m going to use Birchwood Casey Perma Blue for the finish.  
AbitNutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbitNutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 4:30pm
I received my Lothar-Walther barrel today. I'll be driving it over to the gunsmith next week. It's a 4 groove barrel and when compared to the pitiful 2-groove, more like 1/2-groove, shot out old barrel of my No 4 MK 2, it's a beautiful thing. It has the bayonet lugs and appears to have the correct contour. 

It's in the white so I'll have it rust blued. I know it should be parkerized but it's too pretty and it's far past original now. We'll figure out how to affix the Parker-Hale tunnel front sight without butchering the barrel. I'm hoping the dovetail can just be recut to the correct size. 

I'm going to get the action cleaned up a bit and use a NOS #0 BSA bolt head. 

The stock is in nice enough shape. I'll have to work on exactly the best way to bed it. I've never messed with bedding a two piece stock. let alone a No 4. 

With any luck at all I may be able to improve on the previous best of "minute of trashcan lid" size groups. Man, they could go anywhere. sometimes I wonder if it was safer to stand in front of it than behind it. Ok, that's not true but my complete inability to make improvements made me crazy.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 1:10am
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.
Keep us posted. With photos please.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 5:22am
I’ll be interested too to hear how the installation goes, if any issues with correct indexing to the receiver.

I’m hoping it will be a while yet until I need to replace the barrel on my match shooter.  

str8shutr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote str8shutr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 7:06am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

They are shipping my No. 4 barrel tomorrow.  Outstanding service.  
Not sure what is available in the AU, NZ and SA.

If you're interested, check out T-Bone Shipwrighting down in Coogee (suburb in Sydney, near the beach). Tom Smith puts up regular posts on Fartbook of his work that include LW barrels. Offers a fair showing of Enfield rebarrels.

Based on that example, you should be happy with the result.
AbitNutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbitNutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 10:24am
My gunsmith is an a$$hole so there won't be any in progress pictures. I'll see if I can get him call me as it progresses and take pictures. He's an a$$hole but he's a capable a$$hole and he's local. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 10:57am
If you're stuck finding a good Lee Enfield gunsmith in the USA,then you should talk to Brian d**k at BDL. He has an excellent reputation apparently.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
AbitNutz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbitNutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2021 at 4:46pm
I did talk to him. Unfortunately, he doesn't do barrels that are short chambered. He only installs them if they are fully chambered and ready to be installed. 
DRG1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRG1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 9:48am

I need to know from anyone who has re-barreled a Lee Enfield with either the Criterion or Lothar Walther barrel-------- what diameter bullet was used ??

.311 or .312 ?

It's a LONG story but I used Sierra Match kings sized .311 for years and on a good day I could put 80% inside 1 MOA but about 4 months ago my groups stared opening up considerably. I tried a number of things then I tried the last 21 Hornady FMJBT's I had kicking around for over a decade that were sized .312  and the groups tightened right up again (They were a bullet Hornady made for Graf that they no longer make )

Sadly nothing I have tried so far will shoot .311's with any accuracy any longer 

The problem is in a reply from Lothar Walther they suggested .312's were the preferred bullet for .303 ( news to me but I have looked on the CIP webpage and sure enough it's 7.92mm which is 0.3118101 which is as close as you can get to .312 without it being 0.3119 )

===================================================

Dear Don,

as a barrel manufacturer, we can not recommend specific types of projectiles. The barrels are made as per CIP standard for caliber .303 British.

The CIP states a projectile diameter of 7,92mm (.312").

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely Yours

LOTHAR WALTHER
Feinwerkzeugbau GmbH

Andreas Missler
===================================================

So..... I am looking for someone who has re-barreled with either a Criterion or Lothar Walther to see what sized bullet they used and what kind of groups they were getting...... there is NO POINT in me replacing the barrel only to find I need to use .312's to make it shoot well as I already have a 1944 vintage barrel that will, and Hornady hasn't made any more .312s and nobody can  tell me when they will ..... both Criterion and Lothar Walther use the same SAAMI .303 bores and .314 grooves specs

Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 10:40am
I have a new Criterion and a Lothar Walther barrel, but have not installed either one yet, so I can’t provide you with a definitive answer. 

I have heard other shooters that have not had good success with .311 boattails in worn .303 Enfield barrels, but I’ve not experienced this problem.  I can’t imagine why a .311 bullet would not shoot accurately in a Criterion or Lothar Walther barrel, although it’s certainly possible it will do better with one over the other.  

Is your barrel a 2 or 5 groove?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 11:51am
Here is an article from Criterion announcing the No. 4 barrel.  Says that Hornady 174 gr FMJ bullets were used.  Hornady makes a .3105 FMJ.  But they also make a 174 .312 BTHP.  

DRG1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRG1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 11:51am
It's a 2 groove Longbranch

I am getting poor groups with both .311 Sierra Match kings which are boattail and Sierra 180 Pro hunters that are flat base but when I tried the last Hornady 312's I have , the group tightened right up again. ( well.... except for those two in the white but with the .311 80% were in the white)

Normally I consider .311 the standard 303  but that reply from Lothar Walther saying .312 was the standard and both Lothar Walther and Criterion build barrels to the current SAAMI specs which is .303 bores and .314 grooves

scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 11:56am
I am on the waiting list for a Criterion No. 4 barrel. I talked to them and they told me it is not scheduled yet, but should be coming later this year.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
DRG1953 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRG1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Here is an article from Criterion announcing the No. 4 barrel.  Says that Hornady 174 gr FMJ bullets were used.  Hornady makes a .3105 FMJ.  But they also make a 174 .312 BTHP.  

Yes they do make .3105 FMJ. and they used to make a 174 .312 BTHP but if you check their 2022 PDF catalogue the Item 3131 that used to be  .3105 now shows being .311

So WHO KNOWS which one they used. I have asked and have not had a reply yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic