Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Re-enacting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research/Reference Sources-British Army WWII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research/Reference Sources-British Army WWII
    Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:42pm
Hello
I am hoping someone can help me out here. I posted in the first post on the Reenacting section that I am working on reenacting the Somerset Light Infantry in North West Europe during WWII.

I have found a few websites that have unit histories and things along those lines. However when it comes to finding websites that have photos on the Somerset Light Infantry has been elusive.

I am looking primarily for photos of the 4th and 7th. Bn. Somersets serving in the 43rd. (Wessex) Div. However any photos of other Bn.s serving withe 43rd. Div. would also be welcomed. Does anyone know of any sites that might have photos posted? I guess what I am looking for is more along the lines of a "online database" type of collection.

Sorry, for posting such an "unclear" type of question, but I had to ask anyway.
Thank you
Mark
The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
Hatchetman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatchetman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 4:03pm
I have a rather large book here about world war two so I will have a look and if I find anything relevant I will scan it for ya. 
But the winters coming,

And the snow will cover tracks,

And I'll be watching,

Because I'm hunting you

- Sarah Blasko, The Gardens End
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:49am
have you tried accessing the regiment itself for photos?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
TomcatPC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomcatPC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:17pm
Thank you both for the responces.

As far as I know the Somerset Light Infantry no longer exists as a regiment in the regular British Army. If I am correct, I think the Somersets merged with the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry in the late 1950's, and then sometime around 1968 the remaining Light Infantry regiments in the British Army all merged together forming the Light Infantry Regiment. However, I think there might be a T.A. Coy. of the Light Infantry that are based in Somerset that still retain the Somerset Light Infantry name. I'm not 100% certain on that though.

The good news is that the Somersets have a museum in Taunton that mightt be able to help out. I have seen the site a few times and did not see many photos listed, but they might be able to direct me to a source of photos. I e-mailed them asking about backing cloth for the cap badge on the GS Cap and they were helpful. But I still feel like I am "bothering them" with too many questions...LOL.
Thank you
Mark
The .303" Cartridge, Helping Englishmen express their emotions since 1888.
ducaninfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ducaninfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 12:34am
This might be of help to you Mark if you haven't already seen it.
http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/sli/index.htm

Duncan.

A DAY WITHOUT WINE IS A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE

I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it!

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?

W.C. Fields.
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 9:34pm
Tomcat,

The current guardians of the SLI lineage would be either the 3rd or 5th Battalions of the Rifles.  The Rifles were formed in 2007 by the amalgamation of the Devonshire & Dorset LI, The Light Infantry, the Royal Glouchestershire, Berkshire & Wiltsire LI and the Royal Green Jackets. 

The Light Infantry had been the previous guardians, having been formed in 1968 by combining the Somerset & Cornwall LI, the King's Own Yorkshire LI, the King's Shropshire LI & the Durham LI.

The Somerset & Cornwall Light Infantry was created in 1959 by combining the Somerset Light Infantry with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

Hope that helps!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 12:27am
I think THEY pronounced it more like"Zummerzett"
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 4:05am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

I think THEY pronounced it more like"Zummerzett"
Hoadie

Wolar, me old blabber, "Zumerzet" it be!Star Gert lush, innit!
Even Tony won't unnerstan' this 'Ee don' clat reet proper Brissle like wot I does.LOL (The West Country of England is famous, or infamous depending on your point of view, for having a strong dialect, even a language all of it's own.)Confused
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:24am
Sorry, nothing can be worse than Glaswegian.  It's not Gaelic, it's not Scots, it's not English and I can't understand a bloody word of it!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:28am
We're better looking (& not as hairy) as Glaswegians, I think it has something to do with the colder climate & wearing a kilt with nothing worn underneath it, the further North you go the harier you get.Wacko
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Longshaor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshaor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:07am
Hey, watch it!  I am a fur-bearing kilt-wearer (abet from Pennsylvania)!  LOL
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:51pm
Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic