Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner of No.5 Mk.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner of No.5 Mk.1
    Posted: August 20 2021 at 10:29am

New to Enfields as well. Need some help sorting out the backstory on this rifle.

The rifle conforms with everything I've read about how the No. 5's are configured, but the markings are very worn. The SN is intact (U4405) on side of the receiver and is repeated on the barrel. Given the "F 47" present on bolt (cocker) and front barrel band I'm guessing the rifle was produced at Fazakerley in 1947. 

It also has some interesting "trench art" that doesn't seem likely to pass muster with Sgt. Major. I know these were used in the Malayan Emergency and Mau Mau Rebellion conflicts, so maybe that's a possibility.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Here are some of the photos...

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 7:13pm
looks to be a no5 by what you showed , the tacks are reminiscent of american indian glorification - no oil just lots of design , the buttstock should have a side ount sling attachment and rubber pad - often deteriorating from exposure , and age ...as am i 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 8:30am
Amerind, or possibly Middle Eastern decorations.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Robo Robo wrote:

New to Enfields as well. Need some help sorting out the backstory on this rifle.

The rifle conforms with everything I've read about how the No. 5's are configured, but the markings are very worn. The SN is intact (U4405) on side of the receiver and is repeated on the barrel. Given the "F 47" present on bolt (cocker) and front barrel band I'm guessing the rifle was produced at Fazakerley in 1947. 

It also has some interesting "trench art" that doesn't seem likely to pass muster with Sgt. Major. I know these were used in the Malayan Emergency and Mau Mau Rebellion conflicts, so maybe that's a possibility.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Here are some of the photos...

Your rifle,according to the serial number was made somewhere between 07/45 and 03/46 by ROF(F)
bubba ho tep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 10:30am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 10:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 10:36am
Figured I'd spend a wad of time downsizing and blithering through the process of posting these here for comparison. Found this several years ago in a rural area near me. Traded a nice savage 99 in 300 savage and got this and $50 for my efforts. Gave it to my son...he loves it. Only import mark on it is "England" on the L/S of the socket.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 12:50pm
That's a pre '68 import stamp.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Robo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 1:22pm
Thanks for your reply. The butt stock conforms with a No. 5. Take heart at least it's hard!
Robo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 1:24pm
Thanks, Hadn't thought of middle eastern. By the wear on this rifle it was either a range rifle or had seen a few tours somewhere.
Robo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 1:28pm
Thanks Goosic. Do you think the "F 47" stamped parts are armorer's replacement parts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2021 at 1:57pm
The best of the "early" import markings were a polished spot on the barrel where the used blueing acids to virtually make an ink looking stamp on the buffed area. Had a couple SMLE's and 98k's like that many years ago. They were all under the handguards too !. Just had to buff off that ugly area and touch up blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic