Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A sucker is born every day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A sucker is born every day!
    Posted: September 25 2021 at 5:22pm
That would be me. My wife and I are going to spend a few days on our 40th anniversary on an over nighter 3.5 hrs away to pick up that No1 MIII "faux, tribute, clone" sniper rifle with the Malcolm side mount scope tomorrow. Original? Nope. To much money? Probably. Will I ever recoup themoney? Nope. I figure at my stage of life every toy I buy now will be enjoyed by family once I'm gone. I fell in love with this rifle as it was being built. I can't wait to get it to the range!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 5:39pm
Sounds quite exciting to me! Oh and congrats on achieving 40 years of marriage!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 6:09pm
^^^
THIS.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 3:36am
That's great news HT. 
Sounds like something I would do!
You have to make the effort to enjoy life; reward yourself. Because regrets are the worst thing to end up with. 
Enjoy your rifle and I look forward to seeing it.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 5:27am
Congrats HT, on both accounts.  Can’t wait to hear how it shoots.  Do you know the condition of the barrel? 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 7:14pm
Waiting to see the finished item holding breath too.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 3:20pm
The bore was in excellent shape. Rifle looked awesome! It also really looks awesome in my Man-Cave, as we just got home with it!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 6:28pm
looking forward to seeing it when you post a photo or two , congrats , enjoy it , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 6:58am
I forgot the funniest part of this adventure! Before my wife and I left to inspect the rifle (we live in Brandon, Mb, rifle was in Regina, Sask. About 3.5 hrs drive.) My buddy was over at my house and I told him about our trip. Apparently he and his family are huge fans of Arby's beef sandwiches. Out city used to have one but it closed, but he knew that Regina had one. He asked me if I could bring some home for him. I said "sure. How many do you want?" He replied a dozen. I said ok. About an hour later he texted and said make it 15... and don't forget the sauce packages!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 9:23am
Also, I was wrong about the manufacturer. I thought it was a Lithgow. Here's what is says on the wrist;

(Some sort of crest)

ENFIELD
Sht LE
III*
F.T.R.
Serial #'s on bolt and receiver are 9047

Can anybody give me a bit of a history lesson on this rifle?

Once again Shamu has graciously agreed to post some pics I'll send him. I came home to 5" of leaves in the yard so hopefully later today.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 9:41am
Yeah no problem. No pictures arrived yet though.

Some sort of crest is the "Royal Cypher" (crown) probably with the letters G R (King George the V) denoting it was a military issue rifle when made.
One thing has me a little confused from your post.

ENFIELD
&
ShtLE
I thought (but maybe mistaken, the old mind is as sharp as a marble today) that BSA used the ShtLE instead of the more common SMLE? yet ENFIELD would indicate Enfield Lock?
Its the later version of the Rifle No1 MkIII with the magazine cut off & volley sights omitted.

F.T.R is "Factory Thorough Repair" Britspeak for Complete overhaul to 85% of like new condition.
There should also be the serial number repeated on the "stud" (under the muzzle) on the nose-cap & possibly on the magazine floor-plate, but maybe just plain.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 1:17pm
OK, Pics.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 1:22pm
Is the scope really angled down like that?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 1:44pm
I'm not sure if it's the camera but while it does angle down,  itin person doesn't seem as severe. I bore sited it ( on an x on my back fence about 23 yds away and it's pretty close!)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 2:06pm
Also my bad. Those pics were before final front scope mount block (shim) was installed, but yes, it does seem to have a slight downward angle.
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

One thing has me a little confused from your post.

ENFIELD
&
ShtLE
I thought (but maybe mistaken, the old mind is as sharp as a marble today) that BSA used the ShtLE instead of the more common SMLE? yet ENFIELD would indicate Enfield Lock?

I have three Enfields on my bench right now, a MkI***, MkIII and a MkV. All read ShtLE on the wrist. I believe the later Lithgows are the only rifles to have been marked SMLE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic