Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help: No8Mk1 sights, missing ghost ring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclecticshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: No8Mk1 sights, missing ghost ring
    Posted: October 05 2021 at 6:50am
Hi All 

I am hoping to get some clarity on rear sights for No8 Mk1 22RF rifle. 

From what I understand the rear sight is your typical flip up sight with a battle (ghost ring) sight when the sight is down (in it's normal/default orientation).

I have an opportunity to buy one, however the one I saw was missing the battle sight. Almost as if someone filed it off. I thought someone did and then decided to do some more research.  

I haven't found anything to support an idea that this may have been done intentionally or some sort of a later evolution of the rifle (as issued). However I have found a handful of examples where the rear battle sight is missing (e.g. Lee Enfield No8 (highwoodclassicarms.co.uk)).

Something like this, I have seen another example like this and the one I have an opportunity to buy is similar, 3 in total, have not seen any more like this. 

I am hoping someone can explain to me what's going on here. Snapping a ghost ring off is not trivial, so this leads me to believe that it was intentional. I am just not sure why/where/etc. What's the reason and history behind it. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 2:56pm
The battle aperture was ground off on No. 4 (T) rifles to allow figment of the No. 32 scope.  That’s one example, there may be others. 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 3:00pm
the No8 cadet rifles I used here in NZ when a bit younger were fitted with the non adjustable 2 position flip up battle sight. I assume it was adjusted for the different calibre and ballistics.  But I am going back about 35 years ...
eclecticshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclecticshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 3:21pm
Thanks all. Appreciate the response. It was getting me a bit confused, but it's good to know that this is not an "as issued" condition. And probably will help someone else in the future :)  
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 7:04pm
we have a member that will jump in here soon that is very familiar with the no8 - i dont have one but always wished i did , 

looks to be a very fine rifle , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 7:51pm
I'm betting that's exactly "As Issued"
look at the range markings.
That's  the last of the rifles I'm looking for too.

I learned to shoot with one very much like it a bazillion years ago & an ocean away!
Thumbs Up

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 7:52pm
I have this sight and no, I did not molest this one. I assumed it was for a No7, No8, or No9.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 6:36pm
where is ZED ? i thought he would check in by now 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 2:05am
The sight shown by Goosic is not the one supplied with the NO 8 MK1.
Ian Skennerton, in his book 'The British Service Lee' states 'The rifle is issued with service sights. These are similar to those of the N0 4 rifle and give the same ailing picture to the firer. The backsight gradulations  are  for 25-yard, 50 yard and 100 yard firing with an additional "H" gradulation for firing on a landscape target.'
The illustration shows it with the 'Battle sight.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 2:06am
Sorry for being late guy's. I was at the new Bond movie last night.  
The No8's can have with or without the battle sight. 
I have one with and one without. I'll post a picture later. 
Don't know why some have it removed, possibly the slides were surplus stock for the No4T's . I'm sure the part's bins were source of some of it!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

The sight shown by Goosic is not the one supplied with the NO 8 MK1.
Ian Skennerton, in his book 'The British Service Lee' states 'The rifle is issued with service sights. These are similar to those of the N0 4 rifle and give the same ailing picture to the firer. The backsight gradulations  are  for 25-yard, 50 yard and 100 yard firing with an additional "H" gradulation for firing on a landscape target.'
The illustration shows it with the 'Battle sight.
I was merely making an assumption.  It has been modified similarly to the one I had on my No5Mk1. I have seen a Mk1 sight that had a Parker Hale attachment clamped to it that gave you the addition of windage adjustments on a No8 however. The supplied photos came from Skennertons book. Pages 294 and 297. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 10:46am

Not a great photo; but you can see that the No8 in the centre has the battle sight and the one on the right does not. The one on the right is built on a No5 receiver. But I don't think the type of receiver has any influence on the type of sight fitted.
On the left is my No4Mk1/2

Also, a question regarding the first photo in this post. That rifle has chequer engraving on the butt wrist.
Is that the rifle you are purchasing? Or is that photo from a book? 
I ask, because the trials No8 rifles had similar style chequering on the wrist. Look at the serial number.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic