Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMR's SR4759 and the .303

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMR's SR4759 and the .303
    Posted: December 29 2021 at 1:12pm
Any of the faithful here have experience concocting a load using 4759 and cast bullets in their Enfield? I have a new 180 grainer from Accurate Molds that I'd like to experiment with. I note that older Speer catalogs listed a reduced power load utilizing a 180 gr. JSP way back when, but have long since discontinued this loading. A red flag in my mind. Too hot? 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 6:40am
IMR discontinued  SR4759   I used to load a 150 grain jacketed bullet on 22 grains of it  which I called the"bunny Fart Load" accurate at 100 yard and no recoil
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 8:23am
Thanks SW. I have 1/2 of a 1 pound can and an unopened 5 LB left over from my Schuetzen days. I am hoping that later this afternoon I will have a bit of free time to do some casting. I have found from previous orders that Accurate Molds is a first class operation to deal with. Both of my mold cavities were a variation of what they currently offer. The proprietor has no issue with increasing or decreasing diameters to suit you. Mine (the 180 and a 155 gr) were originally. 30-30 designs (I believe) expanded up to .314 diameter. Both are planned as paper-punchers and mild (read: old guy) critter-getters.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 10:28am
Real Old School way of reloading those cast bullets would be to use modern FFFG or its equivalent Black powder.  Fill the cartridge to the rim and then seat the bullet.  I did it with 215grn RN Woodleigh bullets.  Nothing left the rifle faster than 1700 FPS.
The averaged speed was 1680 FPS. Nice little smoke show too...
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2021 at 12:09pm
Wowser! Never thought of that one. I did not last long when I tested the waters of BP shooting, back in the late 70s. The cleanfreak new bride was quite upset, to say the least, upon my using our then 1 bed/1 bath condo bathtub for cleaning the rifle.

I will continue my internet search to see what is out there on the 4759. Am loathe to use the last 1/2 LB of 3031 on the .303, saving it for the .30-30. Would have thought that the component situation would have eased up by now, it's obviously (and sadly) not the case.
Bullet Smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2023 at 5:39pm
I am finishing up an eight lb keg of SR4759. With a gas checked, 215 grain bullet from the Lyman 314188? mold, I use 18 grains of 4759 with a small square of Dacron to hold the powder in position.
This load also works well with my .314”, 170 grain paper patched loads.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 2:39pm
Its impossible to over load a .303 Brit with Black Powder, or even the substitutes. There just isn't enough case volume.
You can have a lot of fun with a soft cast .32 RB or a single "00" lead, not plated, buck shot & a BP load too.Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Its impossible to over load a .303 Brit with Black Powder, or even the substitutes. There just isn't enough case volume.

This ^^

The original BP 303 loads were compressed pellets of BP dropped into un-necked cases which were then necked just before the bullet was seated.

I wasted weeks of my life trying to perfect a BP load before I was given the above information! 
Mick
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 3:13pm
Your load appears to be more realistic than that of the Speer manual #11. They propose one to load 25 grs under a 150 gr projectile. I think that to be rather warm load.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 3:54pm
I am sure this has already been mentioned, but a vigorous cleaning with H2O is required after shooting black powder in any firearm. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Dragunov Dragunov wrote:

Wowser! Never thought of that one. I did not last long when I tested the waters of BP shooting, back in the late 70s. The cleanfreak new bride was quite upset, to say the least, upon my using our then 1 bed/1 bath condo bathtub for cleaning the rifle.

I will continue my internet search to see what is out there on the 4759. Am loathe to use the last 1/2 LB of 3031 on the .303, saving it for the .30-30. Would have thought that the component situation would have eased up by now, it's obviously (and sadly) not the case.

Had to laugh at this, I get complaints when I bring the Martini Henry cases in to wash in the laundry tub, something about the stink of sulphur….

I’m seeing quite a bit of powder available in the US now, albeit at higher prices than they were before this shortage. You got to jump on it when you see it listed. I used to buy at gun shows to avoid the shipping and Hazmat fees. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 4:27pm
I feel your pain. I am banished to the backyard in all weather, when it is time to clean my black powder guns.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Bullet Smith Bullet Smith wrote:

I am sure this has already been mentioned, but a vigorous cleaning with H2O is required after shooting black powder in any firearm. 

No worries.
I have the "issue" giant galvanized funnel with the "z" tube!

Its actually not bad with a cartridge gun, unlike muzzle loaders the crud doesn't get back into the action. Except maybe the bolt face.
I shoot BP & so have all the nostrums & notions available.
BP is actually easier to clean than corrosive.
Best tip I ever got was "forget the patches"!Shocked
Really, I have several mops & use them instead.
One to wet brush, one to dry afterwards, & one to oil. You can wash them under a tap & re use for a long time.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 2:29am
Where does one go about finding a "z tube"?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 1:08pm
They're getting rare, used to be common as muck, now they're more like chicken teeth.
I did an internet search & only found 2 in England & 1 in New Zealand, but shipping would be horrendous.
I know some have bought a big funnel cut the base off a fired .303 case & JB welded them together to fill any gaps & secure it!
You can usually find "bent ones" is automotive stores for transmission fluid & so on.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2023 at 1:42pm
I just use a piece of vinyl hose on the end of a funnel that fits the chamber.  Don’t really need a funnel that big.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic