Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

174 grain PPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 5:43am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I’ve not found any difference in accuracy between the SMK and Hornady BTHP Match bullet.

Looking back Geoff I didn't have the No.4 SR"b" when I shot the Hornady, and yes it was the .312" variety that we had then. 
Mick
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 8:20am

I’ve not found any difference in accuracy between the SMK and Hornady BTHP Match bullet.  Hornady made a few different 174 grain bullets, you want the .312 diameter bullet, not the .3105, I don’t think they make them anymore. 

The last batch of Hornady 174gr. I bought late 2022 still miked out at .3105" but they were FMJBT, not the BTHP which like you, I haven't been able to find either.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Sapper740 Sapper740 wrote:

I’ve not found any difference in accuracy between the SMK and Hornady BTHP Match bullet.  Hornady made a few different 174 grain bullets, you want the .312 diameter bullet, not the .3105, I don’t think they make them anymore. 

The last batch of Hornady 174gr. I bought late 2022 still miked out at .3105" but they were FMJBT, not the BTHP which like you, I haven't been able to find either.

The Hornady .312" was a special order for Graf & Son and will have GRAF written on the box. I have found a supplier that is offering .311"/.3115"/.312" FMJBT'S for the 7.62x54R and they are no different in performance out to 200 yards than all the other brands we have used. I'm currently working up a load using one of their 168grn FMJBT'S...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 1:51pm
The .3105 were marked & advertised for the "Moist NuggetStar" bores. The cannalure was set up for that too.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

The .3105 were marked & advertised for the "Moist NuggetStar" bores. The cannalure was set up for that too.
I will refer to the Mosin Nagant as a Moist Nugget from here on out. That's funny...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 2:56pm
Clap
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 6:56am
I went to our indoor small bore range today and a member who I had not seen for a couple of years was there. He is getting on, nearly 90 and has been suffering from ill heath. He has disposed of his full bore rifles. He said to me are these any use to you?and gave me 12, boxes of PPU 174 grain .303 ammunition I tried to pay for them but he wouldn't take anything.
Some days are good days.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 7:11am
Thanks t r sharing, shows there are still good people.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2023 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Not on the Graf and Sons website.  Their "303 caliber/7.7 Japan (311-312)  23 products" link on their homepage takes you eventually to the Hornady FMJBT bullets which are NOW listed as .3105" after I called them and complained.  They were originally listed as .311 as shown on the Hornady box.  It doesn't mention Noisy Maggots anywhere.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2023 at 11:02am
I think that's a mistake, or, typo on the part of Graff & Sons site?
I've been using them for several years & they were marked for the M-N rifles right on the box!
I remember because I was breaking in a brand new (unfired) No4 Mk2 barrel & it was definitely "tight" so I actively sought out the smaller diameter bullets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic