FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on No.1 MkIII FTR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheFlynn01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on No.1 MkIII FTR
    Posted: May 20 2022 at 8:49am
Yeah the bolt extracts fine and the claw has good tension. It is placed just behind as well. It also grabs very nicely. 

The only thing I was was worried about was this: I have seen some pictures of bolts from behind, and there seems to be a bit of metal under the spring. Almost like a little keeper for the folded part of the spring. 

Mine does not seem to have it, so I thought it might be broken haha
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2022 at 8:25am
The back should be open, that's perfectly normal. The little protrusion to the rear is normal too.

Is there plenty of tension on the extractor claw?

if you look at the front face is the tip of the spring SLIGHTLY behind the edge of the claw & in full contact with it forcing it to the center?

If when you cycle it slowly with a fired cartridge or case does it "withdraw" on the last mm or so of forward travel, then reinsert, grasping the case rim at the very beginning or bolt opening?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 7:10pm
Got the pictures in. Maybe I am crazy and it is fine, but it looks like its missing something on the rear of it. 

This is the picture in question. It looks like the back is missing something. Or am I nuts? I have shot it and it extracts fine.

This last picture is just the other side for the look of it to see if anything else is missing.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 5:59pm
So I found something interesting, it looks like my bolt head is broken. I tried to post a picture but it is fighting me on mobile. Looks like the metal that retains the extractor spring is broke out. It has no cross bar behind the extractor spring fold to hold it in place. So how do I go about getting a new head? Is it as simple as buying one?
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

The old "weight should not trip the trigger, unless you "jiggle it" test!Cry

I tried to tell the armourer to lift the rifle VERY slowly, otherwise the weight would just blow thru the first stage and trip the second.  He wouldn’t listen.  Oh well. It all worked out fine. 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 3:58pm
Be very careful removing the butt plate. The screws when removed can pull wood out in the threads. Seen this happen a number of times. It’s probably not even necessary to remove the butt plate. 

Yes the trigger guard and barrel band screws must be tight. Any talk previously of adjusting the tension on these is a myth.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 3:31pm
My new toy weighed in a  3.5 (1st) & 5.5 (second).
I polished the dimples & sear & put a dab of grease there & on the face of the cocking piece. we'll see.
I don't like them too light, but that's a tad heavy.

Unfortunately 3-Position is a memory at this point Dead
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 3:29pm
The old "weight should not trip the trigger, unless you "jiggle it" test!Cry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 1:55pm
Short story on the striker spring on my No. 4 match shooter last year at the CMP D-Day match:  

On the major matches, a CMP armorer inspects all rifles and stamps your scoresheet with inspector stamp and writes down the rifle serial number.  As part of the inspection, the trigger is weighed.  Fortunately, I had my M1 and No. 4 inspected on the first day of the week long matches, which was a practice day.  Well, my No. 4 failed the trigger weigh test (3.5 lbs minimum).  So, I had that night to find a solution.  I really did not want to mess with the cocking piece sear face angle, so I sorted thru my springs and found one that seemed a bit stiffer.  Assembled that one into the bolt and it measured just under 4 lbs.  Next day, it passed inspection.  Smile
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 1:26pm
Go for it, mine is in 1,000 pieces right now!

Giving it a drink of RLO inside & re-oiling & greasing the metal normally hidden under the wood.
Regarding spring tensions.

If you're referring to the little coil springs in the forend, then the bolts should be fully tightened. Some mess with backing them off 1/2 a turn but that's not recommended.

There are specs for things like the striker spring, (17Lbs minimum comes to mind) but I've honestly newer stripped the bolt that far. I usually unscrew the bolt head & flush from the "big 'ole in the front" with denatured alcohol, then when drip-dried after standing overnight cocking piece down several drips of gun oil, work the spring a few times, stand overnight again & done!
Ouch
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 1:04pm
Very cool! The 22 trainers must be fun to plink with! I also got the manual so I will take her apart today to make sure nothing is missing or broke, and no rust under the stock line :) wish me luck 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 11:50am
Very nice looking target Zed!  
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2022 at 10:47am
The brass butt plate is also correct for SSA rifles; but I just mentioned that some were steel; and these only appear on SSA rifles.
Here is a photo of my 1918 SSA rifle that was modified to .22 trainer after WW1.
It has the steel butt plate.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 7:04pm
TheFlynn, 20 rounds of Cordite Mk 7 ammo will not harm your barrel.  Clean as Shamu explained, water is the most effective way of flushing out the salts left from corrosive primers.  Don’t let the rifle sit overnight without cleaning. Barrel life shooting Cordite loaded Mk 7 ball is in the thousands of rounds, but it does burn hotter than modern nitrocellulose powder. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 6:57pm
To each his own of course.  We all have different interests to some degree. 

I spent 15 years trying to perfect my shooting off a bench with my first No. 4.  I fitted a 20x Leupold Target scope and endless development and tuning my handloads in search of the smallest 10 round group. And I did get some pretty small groups.  But in retrospect, all I really achieved was to burn up a lot of barrel life, didn’t learn anything about shooting.  When I started competing, that’s when the real learning began.  It’s been a long slow process and I’ve still got a ways to go with the modern Service Rifle (AR-15). 

I enjoy the challenge and variety in position shooting. No artificial support, no optical magnification, essentially an “as issued” rifle, hold it and shoot it as the soldiers who carried this rifle into battle.  Even though we are competing with each other, we have become great friends with a common interest.   We all learn from each other too. 

For those who may not know, “position shooting” refers to the various positions used in competitive Service Rifle shooting (also called “High Power” Rifle shooting in the US).  The positions are Standing (Off Hand) Slow Fire, Sitting (or kneeling) Rapid Fire, Prone Rapid Fire and Prone Slow Fire.  In the US, typical Service Rifle Matches, the standing and sitting stages are shot at 200 yards, prone rapid at 300 yards and prone slow at 600 yards.  Different nations will have variations of these stages and at different ranges.  It is said that Service Rifle matches are won in the standing stage and lost in the prone slow stage.  Anyone who has competed before will know this to be true. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2022 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Maybe something to do when get too old to compete. Put on a big scope, super light trigger and see how accurate I can get the rifle to shoot off the bench.  At the moment, doesn’t really interest me. 

Its both corrosive (primers) & erosive (cordite).
But perfectly usable with proper cleaning & maintenance.
You MUST 100 % no matter what clean the day you use it.
Also "clean for corrosive".
Easiest way?
simple
Boil a quart of water.
get a funnel that's a TIGHT fit in the chamber, (Those automotive ones with the big funnel & Long shaft are perfect.
Pull the bolt & support the rifle muzzle down (hook the butt end of the sling over a fence works.)
as rapidly as you can, without overflowing the funnel, pour it down the chamber & let it run out of the muzzle.
Now clean normally & thoroughly as you normally would. Oil afterwards.
Check the next day just to be safe & repeat if needed.
Erosive there isn't much you can do, but it won't happen overnight. Avoid long strings of rapid fire.
PM Me your e-mail & I'll send you the manual I mentioned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic