Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on No.1 MkIII FTR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on No.1 MkIII FTR
    Posted: May 11 2022 at 9:57am
he!!o there everyone, I have a buddy who is moving and does not want to take his rifle with him. He is offering to sell it to me at a good rate. It is a 1917 No 1. Mk III* that has a FTR in 1953. Now I know that FTR means it was sent back to the factory and cleaned up and such. Yet I am curious who that would have happened to a No. 1? I thought FTR was only done on the No4 rifles after WW2. Now I admit my knowledge in this is VERY small, hence why I came here to ask! Would love some info if you all care to share! 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 6:07am
If yourlooking for proper input from this forum, you need to provide some pertinet information...like just WHERE you are in USA, some proper (full) pics of the rifle.
Thats where we begin...
Loose wimmen tightened here
TheFlynn01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 9:13am
Sure let me get a few pictures up. As for where I am, its Colorado. 

So here are some pictures of it. A really nice rifle I think, got it for a good price. I was just curious to see where it might have been. As I know the UK switched over to the No 4, I was surprised to see a FTR on a number one, I didn't know they did that. So I would love some info on that :) Or any other interesting info that can be shared. It has a bunch of other markings on it too. A 'S' on top of the butt stock, and other stampings. Its really neat!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 10:50am
F.T.R.
(Factory Thorough (not through) Repair)
A complete factory tear down & rebuild to 85% (or better) like new condition.
I'll bet there are more FTRd No1 MkIIIs than not!
Its considered a good thing, a bit like doing regular maintenance on your car to keep it healthy longer. It would frequently include "upgrades" to the current specifications as well.
My 1914 is an FTR.

I think "SSA" marked rifles are considered "Peddled Scheme" or "Dispersal" rifles, I forget which.
Again not a bad thing, a bit rare & so more collectable than single-factory rifles.
Both were similar, to prevent a single enemy attack on the factory disrupting production the parts were outsourced to scattered companies with experience in that type of manufacturing (magazine to sheet metal works, sights to clock & watch makers tubular structures to bicycle makers & so on) then the were delivered to the factory where they were assembled & tested.

Value is variable.
Geography, Condition (inside & out), & matching parts or not all have an effect.
An average condition fully-matching (barrel, bolt, nosecap rear-sight & wood) with a good bore in decent mechanical condition would go for $650~$700 round here in MD. As the conditions fall off (not matching, poor bore & so on they'd drop to $450 or so.
You are fortunate yours is original, many were converted to hunting rifles & that trashed the value!
It also seems in very nice condition from the pics, but without having it "on hand" to play with its hard to tell.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 11:34am
Interesting! I will look more into the Peddled Scheme, I think its neat. As for its matching: It is all matching, bolt to receiver, and nose cap. The wood on the forfend has the same serial number stamped on it. The barrel looks brand new. Nice and mirror bright and she shoots really well. Its finish is interesting, it looks kind of like paint. Is that normal? 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 12:07pm
How about under the front sight rail? It should be there too, just flip it vertical & then forward.

Let me go look at the images.
Many were Blued or browned or oil blackened, but paint over Parkerizing was normal later on. If its a smooth semi-gloss black that's as hard as nails that's true for the later rifles. Yous looks like paint over park to me.
Peddled Scheme & Dispersal were similar programs, one first WW the other second, I forget which was which though.Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 12:24pm
Yup matched under there too! I would not have thought to check that one out, so that is neat!

As for the paint, it is a pretty hard glossy black. Is it the same as that Suncorite stuff? I thought that was only done on the No. 5, but again my knowledge on this is limited. Makes it fun though to learn all about it.
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 1:21pm
Yep a nice looking SSA Peddle Scheme rifle đź‘Ť

The (S) you referred about Flynn01,is it located at top of the Butt at the heal?
If so (without seeing a photo etc) it prolly is a (Short Butt) indicator 1/2” smaller then the normal length Butt.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 1:28pm
Very nice rifle!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 1:28pm
It is, right on top of the heel. It is a nice looking rifle I think so at least! 

Another interesting mark is has is a "C" stamped onto the trigger guard, any idea on what that might be?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 2:58pm
Minor correction S = Short Thumbs Up
L-E butts come in several lengths designed to fit individual soldiers physiques. IIRC each "step" is 1" longer
B = Bantam (super short)
S  = Short
nothing = normal
L = Long
" Yup matched under there too! I would not have thought to check that one out, so that is neat!

"As for the paint, it is a pretty hard glossy black. Is it the same as that Suncorite stuff?"
Yes It was used on late No1,s No4's & No5's.
"Suncorite" is actually the company, all their paints had numbers I forget which one this was. The company s till in business but the paint was decreed "toxic" & so is no longer available to the general public.
Many marks do have specific meanings, like proofs & so on, or the initials of the maker. There are also many many "inspectors stamps" There were many many inspectors each had his own unique one, but who had which & what exactly they inspected is lost to history.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFlynn01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 3:10pm
interesting, so why would a rifle get a short butt vs a long one? 

Hmmm I will take a few pictures of the little stamping on it, see if anyone knows what they might mean or recognize them. 

and that is interesting about the paint. Is it a good finish vs bluing? Does it need special care?

and thank you Honkytonk, I think its pretty neat too!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 3:18pm
Because people are different sizes - the rifle butts had to be to accomodate
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 5:41pm
Its a very good finish Vs Bluing!
Not as pretty perhaps, but this isn't a "duck hunting" rifle. It's a "Main Battle Rifle". It goes where you have to go, no matter where, when, or in what conditions.
Its Utterly Reliable in the most adverse of Environments & It does it well, Very well.
This is a rifle you can 100% stake your life on in an adverse situation.
I have several rifles, most of them have piles of spares, spare kits & so on.
I keep exactly 2 spare parts for this rifle. a "Magazine Spring, Auxiliary Spring" & an "Extractor Spring".
Why? Well everyone tells me I need a spare "Extractor Spring" & I had an "Magazine Spring, Auxiliary Spring" fail on me.
It was metal corrosion from overly aggressive cleaning solvents.
It ain't pretty, but it has a certain charm.Evil Smile
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 6:25pm
im not sure whu a toxic paint would get discontinued for rifle finish - no one , even children , ever knaw on a rifles metal bits .....do they ? 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 4:18am
Looks like a great rifle. 
SSA is Standard Small Arms. They assembled the parts supplied by the smaller companies in the peddled scheme; along with the major parts ( receiver, barrlel ect) from the other manufacturers.
Does the butt have a steel or brass pad? I ask because some SSA rifles were supplied with steel, which only appear on peddled scheme rifle's. They were not fitted by the other manufacturers.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic