Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marking disc - Event Date: June 02 2022 - July 02 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Marking disc
    Posted: June 02 2022 at 11:08am
I figured out the BW: The Black Watch and I figured it the RSF: The Royal Scots Fussilers.
I can only assume the 3B is the Third Battalion and the 51 is the 51st Infantry?
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 12:09pm
the Black watch is the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, not the fusiliers different regiment.
The 51st was a WWI British army Battalion, no association with either regiment.
There was/is a 51st Volunteer unit
So if it is indeed Black watch then its not Royal Scottish Fusiliers and vise versa
Those discs were used for all kinds of ID, regiments, sub units, rack and unit identifiers, its almost always an enigma as to what they all mean without providence.
A little history, in WWI The regiment I was attached to was then the 39th Grey regiment which later combined with the Simcoe Foresters which later became the The G&SF. During WWI they got blended into one of the overseas expeditionary forces. Some of the rifles in our museum had marking discs from that era that no one could make heads or tales of, some were cut and dry.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 12:56pm
Found it in an antique shop yesterday.  Paid a buck for it...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 2:36pm
Good find none the less.
I`m the same, when I see something shiny and its enfield related I grab it, can never have too much.
I`ve got a bunch of disc and have no idea what the markings mean it just cool old lost history, but its fun to speculate.
Cheers
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 2:55pm
A Black Watch butt disc is actually marked, R.H. (The Black Watch "Royal Highlanders") and the Royal Scots Fusileers are marked, S.F.
My take on the disk is that the font looks far too modern to be a British one; however it does look very similar to some South African ones I've seen in recent years and since SA is now a republic they've clearly done their own thing since independence! 
Mick
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 3:30pm
I totally agree with the font being wrong. It was in a case next to a fairly beat up, (picture a tent post) No4 bayonet.  For a dollar I'm not out anything and it is kinda cool to me...
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I totally agree with the font being wrong. It was in a case next to a fairly beat up, (picture a tent post) No4 bayonet.  For a dollar I'm not out anything and it is kinda cool to me...

Goosic for a dollar it was certainly a very cheap conversation piece! 

There are numerous posts on various rifle groups in the UK regarding these discs; sometimes the owner of a new rifle gets lucky by reversing the disc and finds a completely different regiment marking on the reverse. 
The other confusing aspect are the various school cadet forces that had rifles during the Great War marked to them; M.G.S. turned up some months ago on Ebay with all sorts of suggestions as to the regiment...it was in fact, Maidstone Grammar School! 
Mick
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 9:20am
i agree for a dollar you would have been foolish to pass it up , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic