Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Enfield No.4 Mk. 1 receiver rail woren

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 1:13pm
Pleased to hear that you have found a top quality solution.
Peace of mind is essential for shooting these old firearms.Thumbs Up
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
KWBlair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWBlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 4:39pm
Thank you, and might I add Bruce Dow is world wide renowned. I did not even know with him until I join the Enfield-Rifle.com community. I was referred to him by Brian d**k. Bruce Dow mentored Brian d**k for 35 years. After speaking with Brian on the telephone, he told me Bruce lived in Dade City, FL. Only 34 miles from my front door in Spring Hill, FL. and the rest you already know about.
KWBlair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWBlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 5:06pm
I stop out to see Bruce Dow today at Dow Arms in Dade City, Florida to check on how things were going with my No4 Mk1/2 Star Canadian long Branch & the Pattern 1914. Things are going well progressing well with them both. But truth be told the reason why I went back out to Bruce's shop was because of what I saw this week. I saw a British Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 SMLE hanging on his wall for sale. Guy, I bought it today, and next weekend I am out the front door and down range to a 600 yard range to see what it can do. Bruce being a gunsmith has inspected it and it is definitely safe to shot. i will let everyone know how it goings next weekend after I return from the range.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 9:48am
Just some friendly shooting advice. Instead of starting out @ 600 yards, you would be much better putting some groups down on paper @ 100 yards to get an idea of where the rifle puts the bullets 
 Good luck on whatever you decide to do...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:15am
That's a lot of walking to see if you are even on paper! If it was me with any new rifle I didn't know how it shot I'd start at 25 yds, then 100 yds. Myself I would increase by 100 yds. If it shot a head sized group at 200 yds, I'd say "Bob's your uncle" and go home happy! But thats just me! Best of luck and keep us posted!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 10:38am
Yup, would be tough figuring out which way to move the sights if the 600 yd shots are not on paper.  You might be able to see the dirt fly and adjust accordingly…

You can quite effectively “bore sight” the rifle on the bench at 100 or 200 yds that will get you in the target black aiming mark on your first shot.  Adjust the sights to your desired point of aim with the black bull centered in the bore.  Done this many times myself. 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

That's a lot of walking to see if you are even on paper! If it was me with any new rifle I didn't know how it shot I'd start at 25 yds, then 100 yds. Myself I would increase by 100 yds. If it shot a head sized group at 200 yds, I'd say "Bob's your uncle" and go home happy! But thats just me! Best of luck and keep us posted!

I concur,

Head size group!, don`t you mean minute of man, i`m always happy with a minute of man group from any high power rifle, because in the end, that`s all that matters....Wink
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2022 at 11:59am
Yes sir, you are correct! Although being Canadians, and so we don't get in trouble with our Prime Minister, it should probably be "minute of person"!
KWBlair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWBlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 1:57am
Goosic, You may have misunderstood me. The range, I am going to in graduated from 50 yards all the way out to 600 yards. I am retired from the Us army and completely aware of the fact that I will be shoot at 50 yards of a zeroing target that is designed for that range to see where it hit before I go to the real long range shooting. I am also aware of the fact that all the Lee Enfield was bore sighted for 200 yards.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by KWBlair KWBlair wrote:

I bought it today, and next weekend I am out the front door and down range to a 600 yard range to see what it can do. 
I did not misunderstand.  I read it the way you wrote it. Again, good luck.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 12:49pm

I am also aware of the fact that all the Lee Enfield was bore sighted for 200 yards.
All rifles were originally tested at 100 feet with 10 percent of those fired at 600 yards. In both cases the rifle was held in a mechanical rest.
Four out of five rounds fired at 100 feet must come within a rectangle 1"× 1.5". At 600 yards nine out of ten shots fired must hit within a 2-foot circle
KWBlair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWBlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 2:09pm
That still does not change the fact that they were bore sighted at 200 yards.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 5:59pm
Relax guys, you can shoot at 25 yds on a "600 yd range" as long as there are targets there.
Recently zeroed on a 25, then 100 yd on a 300 yd range.Thumbs Up
It's usually accepted that a range is rated at Maximum, not the used range!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 6:13pm
Right. Range 1 at the TMP is often referred to as the 600 yd range.  Targets are at 200, 300 and 600 yds…I didn’t think of it that way either. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2022 at 6:16pm

That still does not change the fact that they were bore sighted at 200 yards.

What I wrote is taken directly from Ian Skennerton's book on the Enfield rifle. So yes, it does change the fact good sir. You might want to invest some time reading the works of both Skip Stratton and Ian Skennerton. Might just learn ya' sumthin' pard...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 2:53am
Let us know how you get on at the range.
When the No4 is repaired, compare the two!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic