Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frenchie is no longer a virgin!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frenchie is no longer a virgin!!!
    Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:01pm
It was 10 degrees below freezing this morning at the Tonto Rim Sports Club with a NNE wind speed of 1.
The first sighter shot was a bit high but still in the red. The following 4 shots were still in the red. I am calling this rifle "Good To Go!"
I do not like shooting with open sights but, the Gold Bead front sight lights up like a tiny light bulb in low light conditions so, it stays on the rifle. I held the six o clock position as well. A grand total of 60 shots fired today with 4 of those 1941 WRA cases splitting at the neck only. I know there are only five shots here but, I did not want to over do it the first time out. It was not until I finished the barrel break in that I was comfortable enough to shoot ten shot groups. Regardless though, five shots inside of a 2.5" circle @ 100 yards is definitely nothing to complain about...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:27pm
Very good shooting! The rifle seems accurate.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Very good shooting! The rifle seems accurate.
Looking through the spotting scope and seeing that hole in the red was all I needed to see to know that I made the right decision when I bought this beauty...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 2:58pm
Nice shooting! Looks to be a good one.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by scottz63 scottz63 wrote:

Nice shooting! Looks to be a good one.
The purists will say that it is not in the "Spirit" of shooting the rifle in its original "AS-IS" form when I mention that besides using a Gold Bead front sight, I also filed in two notches on the Ghost Ring so when viewed from behind,  it slightly resembles a 3 dot sighting system on a modern day pistol. My eye sight is not what it used to be so I need all the help I can get...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 3:39pm
That's awesome. I would do the same. I am still searching for a gold dot bead front sight.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 4:35pm
The file marks is actually a brilliant idea! Mind if I steal it?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 4:38pm
Be my guest...
m38swede View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2023 at 6:23pm
Nice shooting indeed, makes me want to put a few rounds through my Irish contract rifle that I have yet to try out!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by m38swede m38swede wrote:

Nice shooting indeed, makes me want to put a few rounds through my Irish contract rifle that I have yet to try out!
Until I fired that very first shot that morning, the rifle had been unfired for 79 years. Except for the test firing it went through at the factory in 1944. Do not be afraid to shoot your rifle. That is what is what made to do...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 1:25pm
Don't be surprised if it improves after a couple of hundred rounds. When they're new like that they tend to be a bit stiff for a Lee Enfield action. The action & groups on my "unfired" mummies took that long to really settle down.
I think the suncorite on the bolt body & receiver raceways was a big part of it.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 9:33pm
only 10 below freezing ? your whimps , it that below zero - OK , well 2 below zero and 14 below wqith the wind chill here , next four days will be the same , all activities at our range have been officiary canceled till further notice 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Don't be surprised if it improves after a couple of hundred rounds. When they're new like that they tend to be a bit stiff for a Lee Enfield action. The action & groups on my "unfired" mummies took that long to really settle down.
I think the suncorite on the bolt body & receiver raceways was a big part of it.
Frenchie was putting 10 shot groups inside a 2.5" circle right out of the gate. If the groups improve after a couple hundred more rounds through her, I will compete with her at this upcoming CMP match here in March...
rogerwnuss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerwnuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2023 at 4:50am
don't be surprised if the shooter improves, as the weather gets better....at that temperature I'd be shakin' like a dog p##pin' a razorblade 😊.....very nice, btw....
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2023 at 2:49pm
That too.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic