Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bayonet help for a Mk V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i think we have arrived at the truth ...you bought that didnt you ? thinking a mkV and a no5 should both have a specific bayonet , its why you need to read and ask here first , 
the no 5 has a specific bayonet , it only fits that rifle due to the muzzel fitting , but the mkV was a trials rifle in the evolution from the no1 rifles to the no4 , at that point in time the pattern 1907 was still the standard , its the only correct bayonet , all others that you might think and might fit will be incorrect , 

that said - do as you please , we dont mislead nor misstate here , 

ill add the P03 might fit but it was for an earlier rifle ,  and the indian shortened might fit but they were for a different rifle far later , neither would be correct , 

you can certainly have a historically incorrect pairing and claim it to be whatever you want but those of us that know will know 
shamu - no one would consider that correct but you are right the 1800s bayonet will fit the 1920s rifle , 
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 5:03am
It is a p1907 just modified for use in WW2. The Mk V was a trial rifle but they were issued for use after Dunkirk when the British Army lost a tremendous amount of firearms. So in my opinion it is historically correct as it it part of the history of this particular bayonet due to the circumstances of the time.

Thanks!
Bezerker
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2023 at 11:08pm
Ha! Ha!
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 2:13am

Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 5:18am
If I said anything inaccurate about the Mk V please enlighten me.
Bezerker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 1:54pm
Oh you didn't.

The bayonet is the issue, not the rifle. That's fine.
Most of the chopped bayonets were chopped in India, not the UK, so it would be "right" for an Indian  rifle though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2023 at 9:42pm
thanks shamu , i was about to say it differently , it is not correct , 

in other words - do whatever you want , we gave you the correct info , im starting to think this thread is a hoax intended to instigate a bit of trouble here and im not playing anymore , 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2023 at 5:49am
 The bayonet issued for use with the MkV trials rifle was a Pattern 07, no ifs ands or butts.
If any were issued to troops to go to war with, they would have got a 1907 bayonet to play with.

So if you really have a MKV trials rifle, then you really need a 1907 bayonet. A 1920`s made if you can find one.

You should post some pics of your rifle for all of us to enjoy and drool over.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 6:08am
Understood and agree totally. I've never claimed otherwise. The P1907 bayonet is what I got. It may not be "correct" due to it being chopped but its still pretty cool and a part of history. Here are pics of my rifle. I understand the Mk V is a pretty rare rifle and I'm excited to have it. I believe the insignia marking on the butt is not original. Looks like someone put an reproduction one in. Not even sure what the correct one would be for the Mk V and I'm sure it's pretty hard to find one.
Bezerker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 3:36pm
Oh man what did they gouge the stock out with to do that!
What a crying shame.
If you believe its not original anyway, I'd be looking for a nicer one that "Willard" didn't chew on! Clap
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bezerker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bezerker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 3:50pm
Yes they really butchered it. Other than that the rifle is excellent condition.
Bezerker
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2023 at 11:33pm
Here is another. Note no marking on the butt-disc. Being a trials rifle I suspect this to be the norm.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 12:13pm
i also suspect that terry , by tye time these were issued under duress after dunkirk the marking discs were no longer the norm but a lot of buttstocks still had the hole 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 12:48pm
Yes its a shame when the rest is so nice. Were the trials rifle a No1 butt stock, a No4 butt stock or something else?

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 12:49pm
no 1 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2023 at 12:54pm
I'd just get a replacement for the replacement! Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic