Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPROVED verses FACTORY ROUNDS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMPROVED verses FACTORY ROUNDS
    Posted: March 08 2006 at 3:16am
.The.303 enfield round in #1,#4, and #5 rifles (yes,i know about the #7 aussie experimental,but i will let someone else bring it up )       is a do all/done all round.it has taken all big game known to man, and with great success. Even the great w.d.m.BELL,=KARAMOJO(A)BELL of african elephant fame,started his very successful career with a brace of customized .303 enfields,shooting the steel 215gr.rn round.problem has always been pressure!!   one can only load so much before split cases or worse,complete head separation. as KOMBI 76 pointed out,in an action like the P-14, a single shot,or a double rifle, the round(.303)itself,has few rivels as it being accurate.Now,my point,The american ammo makers have new propritory(not for sale)powders that bring the 150 and 180 grain rounds into the relms of the .308(7.62nato) and the .30/06, WITHOUT THE associated PRESSURE.        &nb sp;     HORNADY has their150gr.sp. light magnum at 2830 fps and 2667ft.lbs of muzzle energy. 2200ft.lbs at 100yds.        FEDERAL has its"high energy"180 gr.sp. listed at 2590 fps. at the muzzle,with 2680ft.lbsof energy at the muzzle and 2205 at the 100 yard mark.    the last number is IMPORTANT to us in British Columbia,because of the only hunting restriction we really have with CENTER FIRE RIFLes is a requirement to have a minimum 180 gr.round,retaining 2000ft.lbs of energy at 100 yards. too much trouble to try and explain about hand loads to the Traps (MOUNTED POLICE)or the conservation officers.  oddly enough,it means you can not use the time honord .45/70 a known BIG MEDICINE for buffalo. 180gr. .303 used to fall a few pounds short of the mark,now we have factory round boxes, indicating we meet the requirements.(LOOK AT THE BOX,OFFICER). p.s. if anyone gets bored, say something derogitory about the old .45/70.   .303CARBINE will jump all over you.(JOHN KNOWS MORE ABOUT LONG GUNS THAN ANYONE I HAVE EVER MET. he,s too modest to admit to it, but he is a firearms expert) the expertine is hands onhe may call and say Hey pops,come over and check out my new .416.with equal enthusiasim,it could be a single shot .22hornet. .303CARBINE is the guy you want ,armed,next to you,when "OLD-GROWLER" decides you are the cause of his aching teeth and the pain in his gut from a poorly placed shot,by some idiot,426yards away,shooting a .37???????.   and all smellie does is go CLICK.( DAVE H can relate)when you squeeze the trigger. sorry John,but you know your stuff.
REMEMBER BALARET
POPS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 3:24am

The above post is referring to shooting bison(BUFFALO) .REQUIRES MIN.180GR.AND 2000FT.LBS. ENERGY AT 100 YDS. SORRY,SHOULD HAVE FINISHED POST before MAKING COFFEE.  POPS

REMEMBER BALARET
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 1:04pm
I have always annealed the necks of my Brass after every 10 or so loads& escaped the joys of neck spliting (most of the time ) I'll throw the bait reguards the MkVII .I belive that was the .22 trainning rifle with the vickers barrel ? Also I'll up the antiy Lithgow also produced two types of Jungle carbine on a MKIII action the first was a shortened MKIII reduced down to 8lbs but was never adopted & the second was the SMLE (Jungle Carbine ) #1 MKIII comming in at 7 1/2 lbs  it was apart from a few small details  very much like the MkV ,but as it was right at the end of WW2 it never was produced in any great numbers.

Dave    
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2006 at 10:25pm

Dave H.

I neck size only and re-shoot in the original rifle I full length size  unknown cases only. I found this greatly extends brass life and improves accuracy!! And reduces split cases. The only disadvantage is that you must re-shoot the rounds in the same rifle. it may not rechamber in another rifle. My two endfiels are very close in chamber sizes and mine will interchange. Oh almost forgot neck sizing allows you to increase powder capacity and get some extra velocity!!

Cookie Monster

Edited by Cookie Monster - March 09 2006 at 3:25pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 12:17pm
Mate your a man after my own heart I only FL resize when my cases start to get sticky ! This is when I normally anneal them (I like to have cases that long I know them by name & can identify them by touch on a moonless night blind folded !)

Dave
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 3:26pm

Dave H,

It would seem you and I think alot alike!!

Cookie Monster

kombi76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kombi76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 10:58pm

Problem with the old SMLE is that is push feed. A controlled like a M98 likes extracting stuff much better. It doesn't rip off the case head with the extractor on the one side.

Mind you .303 cases aren't designed for huge pressure. They're not as bad as a 25-20 case but they aren't like a magnum case in terms of case wall strength.

Cheers & God Bless
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia - www.ssaa.org.au
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:33pm
Pops , I would feel comfortable with you in grizzly country as I know you would not turn and run when things got hairy. Thanks for your kind words and hurry up so we can go fishin' one day soon , John   aka 303carbine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic