Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Once Fired Brass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Once Fired Brass
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 8:05am

Picked up three 100 Round bags of .303 British once fired brass at gun show today.

Cookie Monster

Ed Hill View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:45pm
Let us know how they they work out. I passed on some at the last show because I wasn't sure how loose the rifle was they were shot in. They weren't all that cheap, and I figured if I only got two or three reloads out of them after re-sizing, it wouldn't be worth it.

Ed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:48pm
What Make are they ? Richard .

Dave
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:49pm

Ed Hill,

I figured even if it was a sloppy chamber. I  would have too full size the first time anyway then neck size from there out. It is X military brass so its a little on the thick side. I figured I would get some good use!!

Cookie Monster

Gerry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 6:35am

Picked up some once fired FED brass on first fireing 6 out of 20 head seperation. I allwaye use Mil brass DI Z Cdn with no problem.  I dont have a headspace problem. I get the same with R-P. By 4to 5 reloads their all gone.I neck size all brass Mil brass I get 7 to 8 reloads.

Cheers Gerry

Gerry
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:14am

Dave,

Remington brass

Cookie Monster

Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 3:40am
If you pick up any brass maked HXP or FNM be careful. They look the part but!!!!! The brass is very thin and likely to give you case separation if you reload them. I was given some by a guy on our local range sized them up reloaded them and suddenly found it was ejecting stubs the cases separated . Thank god I had a case extractor with me.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:15am

geez guys, extracting case stubs..sounds like a whole lotta fun

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:26am

Yes stuck case could ruin a good day at the range if the extractor is left at home on the counter

Cookie Monster

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:31am

ive never had a problem cos ive always used..ok dont yell at me..factory loads. im gunna get into reloading though. is it a common problem with using spent catridges? or only some particular ones like tony mentioned?

'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 12:54am
I use new winchester or remington brass normally for my 243 and 303 Allan and don't have a problem with reloads. Suggest you size the case first time if they are once used cases then just neck size after they are fire formed to the chamber. Unless you intend using them in  different rifles where the chamber size will differ. I trim my cases to length with a lee trimmer clean off the swage and away we go. Its easy!! Follow the recomended loads in the manual find a load that suits you and stick to it. Nowt more satisfying than getting a great grouping with home loads!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 4:30am

Tony,

I use the same approach.

Cookie Monster

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic