Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > After Market Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wild cats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wild cats
    Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:37pm
It seems to methere is a entire Generation of Shooters who are just begining to discover the world of the 303 as a parent case for Wild cats! I'm seeing a lot of 25 -303s appearing ! Which is funny as they think it's a whle new concept ! After WW2 ther was a shortage of rifles in Australia. So local Gun smiths took advantage of the 303 to use to make rough equivilents of US cals ! These went from the mundane to the rediculas ( I don't think there would be many shooters left who could remember ,the joys ofreforming a 303 case down to about 1.5 inches to a 22 imp or wasp )
 WE were lucky in the fact that companies like IMI ,Riverbrand, Super . Marketed these rounds a a factory line up ! 22 Wasp,imp,Sprinter ,Falcon ,224Imp(303-22 swift ) 243,257,270 -303 ! Yep they in those days of the 50's -late60's early 70's  were quite common & were never thought of as being Wild cats !

Dave   
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 12:30pm

Dave,

Tell me about the .25 cal wildcats for the necked down .303 brass?

Cookie Monster

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:48am
THe 25-303  was quite simply a 303brit sized to to .257  this could be achived through either using two stages 270 then 257 or by using a Vice type FLR die .When used in the III & V actions the verlosities & pressures had to be kept down .But in a Mauser or Pat  14 action the round gave/gives the 257 Roberts a scare

I still use my MkIII Sprinter with 87gn slugs a around 3000/Fps  & it hits hard out at 200mtrs +

Dave 
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:22am

Dave,

Yep I make my 25-06 close to the same way.

Cookie Monster

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:57am
It's taken years to track down but at long last I've found some info on the 35-303 Pumkin Roller ! I remember seeing rifles rechambered for this odd ball & at the time never really took much notice ! I'm seriously looking at rebarreling a rifle to this round as a Bush rifle ! All it was ,was a 303 opened out to .358 & used a 250 gn pill at round the 1800-2400 fps mark ! It was ment for use in the Northern Territory  which had a ludicrist law reguarding that Only Pro shooters could own a weapon with a Muzzel verlosity of over 2000 fps !

Dave
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 11:15am

What there is black powder weapons that shoot faster the 2000fps !!! Idiots

Cookie Monster

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 4:24pm
Yeah it was back in the bad Old days ! Western Australia has even crazier laws! Even to this day  there are two classifications of Permit  Low Power & High Power  the dividing line is 1750fps !!!!!! You may own a 45-70 on a low power license ! Yet a 222 is classed as high power ! They require a shooter to have One letter from a property owner for a Low power & a min of three for a High power (you can own a high power for range use only ) Some years ago I took on a Gov culling contract over the border Everthing was fine until I checked in at a place on the border called Eucla .To let the WA police know that I would be working the Nullabour plain up north from them ! Ye gods ! I thought they were going to hang me! It took several phone calls through to Perth to clariffy that I was already permitted to bring a .303 over the border & even once we'd cleared that up they went mad that the Dept I was working for would be shipping ammo for my use to them & I would pick it up ! I'did'nt have the heart to tell them at that stage that every time I came in I'd have a bag of Dog scalps & camel ears to be returned to perth !

Dave 
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:47am
Had the same with Liverpool police mate. Asked them about putting some soft nose ammo on my ticket to zero the sights for Deer stalking. Reply was "you can't shoot targets with soft nose ammunition!" ( so how the hell do you zero the sights?) Followed by It's illegal to shoot people with soft nosed ammunition!"  Funny I thought it was just as illegal to shoot folks with fmj! Must check on that cos we got a noisy beighbour!
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Had the same with Liverpool police mate. Asked them about putting some soft nose ammo on my ticket to zero the sights for Deer stalking. Reply was "you can't shoot targets with soft nose ammunition!" ( so how the hell do you zero the sights?) Followed by It's illegal to shoot people with soft nosed ammunition!"  Funny I thought it was just as illegal to shoot folks with fmj! Must check on that cos we got a noisy beighbour!

My nearest nieghbour is about 1km away  (My brother )  so Solids or soft nose  ammo is not  a option  ! But I wonder  How I'd go registering a Mortar ???????Considering it's a smooth Bore & a single shot !

Here in South Australia there has been a big recruitment drive to entise London Police over here! Needless to say we now have a Swag of Ex Bobbies sent to Port Augusta  to Blood them in ! Before they go back down to Adelaide ! It's as funny as a Fit ! Not only are they having to carry Firearms & deal with  the Lesser forms in the Port & from the Lands up North (& yes these lesser forms still Spear each other ,club & stab & given the chance shoot ) The Poor new Guy's & Gals have to deal with our firearm laws ! With the added bonus of comming into direct contact with Pro shooters like myself ! ! We had a couple of coppers come out to pay us a visit (the australian) Cop had set his partner up a beauty ! Told the poor bugger they were comming out to do a Firearms check on me (he was just comming out as they were in the district & he wanted to line up a day or two of spotlighting with me ) His poor Mate near sh*t himself & turned up wearing his bullet proof vest

When I get the chance I'm going to take the Poor cow out for a shot! He was so embarressed !

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 7:22pm
I should eat my words in reguards to the Old faithfull .303 off springs ! I've just been asked if I'll make up some 243,25, 270 -303 brass for a couple of shooters who are interested & have purchased  Mk111's in these cals! Their also going to re - enburse me for my time & the cost of the Brass ! They were very impressed with both my 25-303 & the Pat 14 I have just picked up in 270 -303 ! There could be hope yet for these almost forgottern rounds !

Dave   
shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 2:02am
What do you have for a back stop down under Dave?  The stereo ype portrays Austrailia as wide open desert.  Here my closest neihobers are less then a half mile but the terrian is such that it is unlikely for a bullet to travel much farther then a quarter or half mile.  It would hit a tree or hill side long before it ran out of energy.
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by shotgunminister shotgunminister wrote:

What do you have for a back stop down under Dave?  The stereo ype portrays Austrailia as wide open desert.  Here my closest neihobers are less then a half mile but the terrian is such that it is unlikely for a bullet to travel much farther then a quarter or half mile.  It would hit a tree or hill side long before it ran out of energy.

Around here it's mostly mountain country (with only about a third of the country good for cropping the rest is grazing ) We do have wide open spaces though . Where I normaly shoot up north is open almost flat country as Far as the Horizion . The smallest Station I shoot on up there is 50 square miles in Area. The largest is roughly 300mile x 270mile ! The population in these areas is roughly about 30 people !

Dave
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 10:59am
 Dave You should be ashamed of yourself scaring the poor pommy coppers lol.   
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

allan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 11:00pm
dave, i remember when i went shooting up bourke way for the first time. on the mitchell HWY between nyngan and bourke, is dead straight (around 210kms) of road...well..we passed through there around 3 in the morning and saw A headlight in the distance....around a half hour later, that one head light turned into 2..about 10 minutes later  THE truck passed us..now thats some flat country.
'SAVIOUR OF OUR SKIES BOYO!'
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 6:40am
Originally posted by allan allan wrote:

dave, i remember when i went shooting up bourke way for the first time. on the mitchell HWY between nyngan and bourke, is dead straight (around 210kms) of road...well..we passed through there around 3 in the morning and saw A headlight in the distance....around a half hour later, that one head light turned into 2..about 10 minutes later  THE truck passed us..now thats some flat country.

Kinda like coming out of northern Ontario @ Manitoba boarder..Soon as you hit Manitoba its FLAT! How flat you ask? Well..If it wasn't for that tree in Saskatchewan blocking the view - you could see the Rockies @ British Columbia /Alberta border!!! Now THATS flat!!

Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic